Crazy Family Connections

Early into work one day, I saw Mr. Godfrey come out of the elevator into Pryce's office. Our eyes met for a second, but he did not say anything. He walked right past me. My heart sunk a little, but I needed to know better. He is the heir of all of this; I am an intern. It's all professional here at the White Tower. Plus, he is cold all the time.

I rolled my eyes at my stupid little thoughts about him and focused on the work. About 15 minutes later, Pryce and Mr. Godfrey both came out of the office. As he was leaving, Mr. Godfrey whispered quickly, "After work, meet me in my office." I nodded, and he was gone.

Wonder what he needs to talk about now. Or maybe he wants to drop me off as an excuse to see Peter.

After a very anxious day ended, I headed up to Mr Godfrey's office. I smiled in my head thinking of how terrified I was when I first came. Not that Roman is any less intimidating now; I just got used to it.

I knocked on the door. No answer. I knocked harder. No answer. Had he forgotten. I knocked for the third time when a "Come in" came from the other side. I opened the door to see Roman with Beats on his head and him staring at his laptop. He glanced up and put his gadgets away.

"Okay. Come on," he said as he clapped the lights off. He grabbed his keys and his coat and walked out the door with me trailing behind him. I followed Roman to his car. A Jaguar- something my beat-up one couldn't even be beside. Surprisingly, he held the car door open for me. It's not every day that Roman Godfrey decides he will be a gentleman. I got into his car, which I am sure cost more than all I have ever earned. Throughout the ride, he didn't talk much except for-

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"My place," he answered casually.

I was confused but didn't ask any questions. I did not want to tick him off. The rest of the ride was quiet and awkward. I tried to look outside.

Roman pulled up to his driveway and outside stood a beautiful mordern-style mansion. I was in awe already. When we got to the house Roman went upstairs. I sat on the couch and admired at how big and beautiful his place was. It seemed so comforting. I heard footsteps come down the stairs and glanced up to see Roman, now with his coat off and just one of his classic black shirts with one button undone and with a child in his arms. The baby has beautiful blue eyes. Like crystals.

I gave him a confused look but did not say anything.

"This is Nadia. My daughter," Roman introduced. Never in a million years did I think Roman Godfrey was a father. I tried to contain my confusion.

"She's such a sweetheart," I commented as I smiled down at Nadia. "Hi, Nadia," I said as I stroked her soft cheek with my thumb and took her from Roman's hands.

Roman nodded as he sat down on the couch next to me. "I really just want to protect her. Not many people know about her even existing. She was a secret from me too. But now, I just want her to be safe."

"I understand. Don't worry. I promise her secret is safe with me" I said. I hugged Nadia tight. How could anyone even think of hurting such a gentle and calm baby. Not to mention she was adorable.

Roman extended his arms, indicating he wanted to hold Nadia. I slowly gave the baby to him and moved closer so I could still stroke her cheek and admire her stunning blue eyes.

"Do you have a girlfriend or fiance or wife?" I asked, slightly questioning what I just asked. Come on, Roman was so young.

"Uh, no. She is Letha's daughter."

I recalled where I heard that name. That was Roman's cousin, and Peter's girlfriend.

"Where is she?" I asked, remembering Peter saying he loved her once. Maybe they broke up? I assumed Roman was taking care of his cousin's daughter for her but treated her like his own. That made sense. Sort of like adopting her.

Roman looked at me, got up, and took Nadia upstairs. Oh no. I didn't mean to be nosy. But my fears were gone when I saw him come down again.

Roman sat where he sat before again. He sighed and said, "Letha passed away during childbirth. She is the mother of my child."

I admit at that moment I wanted to throw up and run from Roman and what he just revealed but he instantly added, "I know what you're thinking but I didn't know. Olivia manipulated me and I have no memory of it. She used me. Letha didn't know either. She lived and died convinced it was an angel. When Letha told me, I was convinced it was Tyler- a dimwit she was seeing back then. None of us had any clue except Olivia. But Letha is gone now," Roman said, his voice cracking. "And I am trying my best to protect Nadia. I don't know where Olivia is, but I don't want her to hurt Nadia."

I felt so bad for Roman. So it wasn't his fault. I was angry at Olivia for putting her own son and niece through this monstrosity. She really was heartless. Then I remembered about Peter. No wonder he was so sad talking about Letha. I mentally slapped myself for even bringing her up. "Is that how you know Peter? Through Letha?"

"Oh no. I know Peter because he was a werewolf. Peter and I haven't told you this before, but I guess you need to know. Roughly two years ago, there was what Peter and I called a 'demon dog' on the loose, killing girls in Hemlock Grove. At first, I thought Peter was the killer since he was a gypsy and everyone knew how gypsies tied to werewolves. At one of the sites where a girl died, I spotted Peter, but he explained he wasn't the killer. I believed him. He let me watch him turn. When he turned, he got the sense of something evil. It was a vargulf- a mad werewolf, fueling with pure anger and hate. And we tried to chase it down and kill it. That's how we know each other."

"Oh," was all I said. So it wasn't just Peter and Roman. This entire town was completely bazooks. No wonder no one ever came here and half the things were shut down.

"Actually, after Letha passed, Peter had left. He left me here to suffer and ran away. Guess that's what gypsies do. But he didn't have anywhere else to go for long, so I guess because he moved back." I could now see how Roman and Peter talked but there was a gap between them. Now I know where that came from.

"Do you have anyone else in your family?" I asked. "Except Olivia, although I wouldn't call her family."

"Shelly, my sister. Olivia controlled her for years and years. Completely messed her up inside and out, except Olivia couldn't take away Shelly's kindness or intelligence. She ran away in fear after she helped kill the vargulf. It was accidental although it did do us good. She never came back to Hemlock Grove but she is doing okay.She's never coming back here, I have contact with her. That's it," Roman concluded.

"Why are you so temperamental?" I asked him out of the blue.

"What?" he answered back.Now he was the one with the confused face.

"One moment at the White Tower, you're firing someone because they misplaced an insignificant file. The next moment you're telling me all of this. I am so confused by you, upir or not," I said. "As for Nadia, if you ever need me to come here and watch over her, let me know."

"Of course. And her existence stays between you, me, and Peter. Okay?" Roman said. I nodded. "Also, I'm telling you all this because you need to know we all have our set of messes and quirks. Nothing's normal here, nothing is bound to be."

I gave a simple nod and got up. Roman offered to drive me back to the tower to get my car, but I declined. This was enough for one day. I would rather walk to the White Tower by myself and try to process all he said to me today. Alone. I bid him goodbye and took off.