chapter 18

Chris sat up in bed, turning to look at the clock. Spencer laid next to her, peacefully asleep. She got up, knowing she was not going to get any sleep.

Heading to the living room, she grabbed her laptop and sat on the couch. She breezed through the news until she landed on the story about the police finding Ross's body. Three times she read through the story until closing her laptop and setting it aside.

Chris bit her lip, trying to keep the tears from falling out. Over the years she had faced many stressful cases and heavy situations but this one was different. She could not shake the feeling that she was responsible for everything that had happened.

"What are you doing up?" Spencer said walking into the room. Christina looked up at him, offering him a smile.

"Couldn't sleep and didn't want to wake you with my restless tossing and turning." Spencer sat down next to her, extending an arm so she could lay on his chest. She did and he ran his fingers through her hair.

"None of this makes sense. I keep trying to wrap my brain around it but I can't seem to figure it out," Chris said.

"I'm supposed to be the genius remember?" Spencer joked.

"I know but I have my moments," Chris retorted. They sat there in silence until Chris had an idea run through her head.

"Has anyone gotten a case file on Ross yet? We can see what bullets were used to kill him. Maybe that can lead us to something."

"I'm not sure. Even if, the bullets could be from anywhere and there's no telling if we could trace them back to the owner," Spencer replied. Chris sighed, knowing he was right. It was hard dating someone who was rarely ever wrong.

"I'm really just thinking out loud. Most of the theories have already popped inside my head but none of them really make sense to me."

"Give it time. I know you'll figure it out," Spencer said looking at the girl in his arms. It was every time that Christina lay against his heart that Spencer truly felt at home.

"Spence," Chris whispered sitting up, " I love you."

"More than I deserve." Chris shoved his arm lightly.

"You know I hate when you say that."

"It's the truth," Spencer said, "I will never understand why you always choose me but I will be grateful for the rest of my life that you do."

"Geez," Christina said tearing up, "Way to make me even more emotional." Spencer smiled at her and wrapped his arms around her frame.

"Let's try to get some sleep now. We need your 'outside the box thinking' tomorrow," Spencer stated.