Chapter Seven

After Lay and I tired out from running, we went into a convenient store to eat some ramen to warm ourselves up. It was the typical silence that was floating in the air. The comfortable one. When my ramen was ready I opened the lid and scarfed down a bite immediately. I started fanning my mouth and coughed since it was still burning hot. Lay handed me some water that he bought and I chugged at least a quarter of it.

"You okay now?" he asked.

"Yes. Thank you." I answered.

"Ah... It was a nice exercise..." Lay sighed.

"Running under heavy rain is considered an exercise?" I chuckled.

"Why not?" he smiled.

I laughed at him. His face was so blank and dazed. I wondered what is he thinking about. I looked at him for a few more seconds before he spoke up.

"You know Soomi, I've been wondering about something..." he paused, "Are you finally accepting me as your friend because I saved you or is it because of something else?"

I turned my gaze at my ramen. I have never thought of that when I decided to invite him to spend the afternoon with me.

"That's... A very good question..." I said with a lower voice.

He turned to me and watched me as I play with my noodles.

"It's fine if you don't want to answer. I understand that we've still barely know each other and you don't trust me completely yet. So are you done eating? Because we should go now." he said as he changed the subject.

He stood up and cleared the trash from the table.

"Wait Yixing. I need more time to think about that. I'll answer your question when I find the answer." I said.

"So it's Yixing now and not Lay?" he joked.

"Oh. Sorry Lay. I was too-"

"It's fine. I don't mind what you call me. You can even call me Bob and I won't mind." he said.

"Alright then Bob." I laughed.

"Are you seriously going to call me Bob now? Okay then I'll call you Soup if you don't mind." he said as he left the store leaving me wondering why he called me Soup.

I hurried to him when I realized that he walked quite a distance already.

"Hey! I'm not a bowl of Soup you know!" I complained.

"I know. I just felt like it." he laughed.

The rain had stopped by now and I was feeling giddy as I walked beside him.

"You seem really happy right now. It almost seems like you're a different person than the one I met in school." Lay remarked.

"I look like I'm happy?" I widen my eyes.

"Yeah. Why are you asking?"

"I shouldn't be happy..." I muttered.

"What? Why can't you be happy?" he asked.

He must have heard me and thought that I was weird.

"Because... I don't want to lose what makes me happy." I said quietly.

He looked at his feet probably trying to understand my answer. I couldn't afford to be happy ever since Suho was gone. I can't afford to make someone else's life be in danger just to make myself happy. I would be happy if I could stop endangering someone's life. After what happened to Suho, I can't take the risk to be happy anymore. I stopped walking and grabbed Lay's arm. He looked at me with pity in his eyes.

"Can you do me a favor?" I asked.

He didn't say anything and I took that as a "yes".

"I want you to treat me like if any of this never happened. Especially at school. I don't want any rumors that will complicate both our lives." I said.

"If that's what you want..." he said apathetically.

As if the weather could read our mood, it started to rain again. Lay looked up at the falling drops of water and brought out his umbrella. He looked at it for a moment before placing it in my hands.

"Make sure you bring your own next time." he said before he walked away with his head lowered.

---------------------------------------------

I sat in the laundry room facing the machine that was turning and tossing the dirty uniforms including Lay's blazer. I couldn't help but frown. Chenny laid peacefully beside me with its head resting on my lap.

"Oh Chenny... Have I done the right choice?" I asked her.

The machine rang loudly signalling that the clothes were done and clean. I was about to throw all the clothes in the dryer when I decided to hang them instead. I observed at the uniforms and each of them had a story to it that I don't want to remember.

My personal uniform was drenched with salty water. I realized that Daehyung poured salt water on me after smelling my hair in the school's bathroom.

Yes. I smell my own hair.

Lay's blazer that kept me warm from my wet uniform until I borrowed a uniform.

The borrowed uniform was stained by the Witch's spaghetti. I wonder if she ever regretted wasting her lunch to stain me. And... That kiss... I shiver as I thought about it. I rubbed my arms trying to make the goosebumps disappear. It was obvious that guy is going to bother me again. How am I supposed to face that dude again tomorrow?

Chenny stood on her back paws and rested her front paws on my stomach. I think she was worried that I was sad. I smiled and patted her head assuring her that I was okay.

"Ah Chenny, sometime I wish you could speak and help me find a solution for all my problems."

"I can help." a voice rang.

"WOAH WOAH WOAH. CHENNY. You're not like that Kai dude that was cursed in my book I read right? You know, that guy that was trapped in a dog's body? And I thought you were a girl!" I gasped.

"Arf!" she barked.

"I can help you fund your project!" the voice rang again.

"What...? Is there a guest...?" I wondered.

With that Chenny rushed out the room. I heard her barking a bit, startling the guest I think.

"SOOMI! GET THE DOG OUT OF HERE." I mother yelled.

I hurried out of the laundry room. I placed my fingers on my lips and let out a loud whistle. I arrive in the dining room and Cheeny ran to my feet looking sad. I patted her and tried to cheer her up.

"I swear I'm going to get rid of that dog the next time it bothers us. So if you're not willing to send her to the pound then, I will." my father cursed.

"Don't you dare touch a hair on her." I hissed at them before carrying Chenny to my room.

"Don't go near that woman nor that man ever again Chenny." I scolded her.

She whined and laid down low.

"Oh c'mon. You know that I won't abandon you. You're the most precious being to me." I smiled.

I glance at the clock. It was really late already.

"Time to sleep girl, I need to wake up early for hell tomorrow." I told her.

She tilted her head meaning "Hell? What is that?"

"I mean school. Not hell. Oh wait. I just remembered. It's Saturday tomorrow!"

She happily barked. She spun around a few times before she comfortably laid at the feet of my bed.