• dancing in the dark (alex x george)

Start writing your story

wc: 436
an: idk what this is sorry. italicized is song lyrics xx
alex x george

____

the room was dimly lit, faint shadows on the wall from the singular weak lamp by the sofa. the curtains drawn, and the noise of traffic drowned out by their own thoughts, alex and george felt like they were the only people on the earth.

alex's head was buried in george's chest, geogre's arms slung around his waist, as the pair of them slowly moved around the room in sync. george's computer was propped up on the kitchen island, playing 'slow dancing in the dark'- the couple's favourite song. the music flowed through the air encasing them in a musical web, one they wouldn't want to escape anyway.

alex quietly hummed the words under his breath against george's shoulder.

'you should be with him i can't compete'

tears stung alex's eyes, threatening to spill down his face at the bittersweet lyrics, that somehow had made their way into his relationship; if you could even call it that.

george was leaving tomorrow. like he did every weekend.

'cant you see,'

george sang along, just to make it feel like the two of them were actually trying to be a proper couple. the pair both knew that it wasn't working but they grasped on, convincing themselves this was a healthy way to get by.

'used to be the one to hold you when you fall'

it was doomed from the start, this delicate dance they had. creeping around, trying their hardest to ignore what was blatantly in front of them.

george was already dating someone, this had meant to be a no strings attached. but, alas it had woven into something layered, complicated, difficult.

and it was tearing alex up bit by bit.

'i don't wanna go home'

george sang, his grip around alex tightening. alex could feel silky tears down his face. this was the last time they'd slow dance around alex's living room, the musical bondage holding them together. the last time george would wipe away alex's pearlescent tears with the rough pad of his thumb.

the pair lay down in the bed for the last time, facing each other and getting lost in each others eyes. 'i don't want to go alex,' george choked, his own vision going blurry. 'g-george i can't do this anymore,'
george took a shaky breath, sniffing and nodded. 'i'm sorry,' he whispered, arms curling around the smaller boy.

'can it be one night? can you?'

george hummed the pair to sleep. alex drifted to sleep in george's arms, knowing he'd wake up to a cold empty bed.

you'd think he'd be used to it now.