EPISODE 11 - THE SQUARE TRIANGLE

"Unfortunately for them, an Alien came through that door instead of her husband."

Written by Alan Pattillo

Directed by David Lane

Filming Schedule: Wednesday, 3rd – Monday, 15th September 1969

Original UK Airdate: Wednesday, 9th December 1970 (ATV)

Tech; UFO, Mobiles, Mobile Transport Trucks.

Cast; Straker, Freeman, Foster, Ellis, Barry, Waterman, Ford, Johnson, Ealand

Additional cast;

Liz Newton Adrienne Corri Cass Fowler Patrick Mower Jack Newton Allan Cuthbertson Alien Anthony Chinn Game Warden Mitchell Godfrey James SHADO Mobile Navigator Hugo Panczak

My overall rating; 9/10

Location shooting was at (Black Park, Iver Heath (Buckinghamshire) Black Park Cottage, Queen's Drive, Black Park, Iver Heath (Buckinghamshire). Barry Gray composed another new score for the episode, with the track in the car with Liz and Cass being reused from the Captain Scarlet episode Model Spy. The end titles are replaced for the episode with Liz standing over a grave (presumably her husband's). Adrienne Corri has starred in a vast array of programs including Lovejoy, A Family At War, You're Only Young Twice, Department S, Play For Today, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), Armchair Theatre and Doctor Who: The Leisure Hive (1980 as Mena). Patrick Mower had also starred in Emmerdale, Marco Polo, The Dark Side Of The Sun, Target, Bergerac, The Sweeney, King Lear, Special Branch, Callan, Haunted, The Adventurer, Z Cars and Space: 1999 (All That Glisters as Dave Reilly). 

Allan Cuthbertson was also in Fawlty Towers, Edge Of Darkness, Terry And June, Nanny, Jason King, The Goodies, The Magical World Of Disney, The Champions, The Avengers, Detective, Man In A Suitcase and The Fellows. Anthony Chinn would return for the episode Sub-Smash as Lieutenant Tony Chinn and be The Protectors regular Chino. His other works include Moonbase 3, The Inside Man, The Avengers, Danger Man, Z Cars, The Professionals, Minder, Poirot and Tatort. Godfrey James would also star in Space: 1999's The Rules Of Luton (as an Alien Transporter), as well as another huge array of TV shows including The Lotus Eaters, Highlander, The Bill, The Good Guy, Minder, Poirot, About Face, Gems, Wish Me Luck, Emmerdale, The Professionals and Play For Today. Lastly, Hugo Panczak, an actor with smaller TV credits, also appeared in Roads To Freedom, The Champions, Dixon Of Dock Green and Tatort.

So, CaptainThunderWho, what do you think of this episode? Is it a one-off below-average episode failing to meet the bar? Or is it a triumphant story? Yeah. It was. An interesting episode about this couple killing an alien intending to kill Liz's husband (who was absolutely hilarious in Fawlty Towers), and it appears at the very end SHADO let him die. They had no proof. And they had their minds of the last 24 hours wiped so they didn't even know themselves. Cass was the name of my neighbour's cat, and Cass also reminds me of Matt Smith. The soundtrack was great too as was the moment of the Game Warden being shot dead and his body creepily being dragged away and the dog biting the alien.