9. Characters

Straker; Edward George Straker was born on 10th July 1940 in Boston. 5ft 10, weighing 155lbs and Commander of SHADO, Straker has been involved with the organisation since its genesis. Formerly a Colonel in the US Air Force, Straker's commitment has cost the loss of not only his marriage to Mary but the death of his son in a tragic casualty, which can likely make him appear cold and distant to rarely let people get too close to him. Demanding, authoritative, strict and disciplined, yet loyal to his people, Straker's quick thinking judgement is often based on computer predictions and logic, good at guessing the aliens' next moves. 

Freeman; Straker's second in command, SHADO's first recruit after Straker and his close friend. Charming, liked by seemingly everyone, and a big flirt with the ladies, Freeman has the highest respect for Straker and doesn't rely on computer predictions but more on his instincts.

Foster; Paul Foster was originally a test pilot before he was caught up in a UFO incident. Once he tracked down information on UFOs, SHADO, and Straker, he was immediately promoted to Colonel with tours of duty in command on Moonbase and Skydivers. Strong-willed, confident, tough, a ladies man and authoritative, he often goes out on special assignments and he and Straker's relationship can often deteriorate.  

Lake; Lake was originally an outside contractor who designed SHADO's tracking equipment, before becoming a Colonel for SHADO, she is on good terms with Straker and had a brief relationship with Foster and Captain Craig Collins. A confident Lake is an expert on SHADO's main computer and is sometimes sent out on special assignments. 

Henderson; President of the International Astrophysical Commission, Henderson oversees all space activities of SHADO. Originally responsible for setting up SHADO, and him standing a good chance of being SHADO Commander, he held Straker's hand to build up his organisation. He was not Commander because of the car crash he and Straker were involved within 1970 crippling him, which questioned his ability for the future to command SHADO. Although he and Straker's relation deteriorated, the two fight over SHADO's budget and resources.  

Ellis; Ellis is generally seen to be the main Commander of Moonbase, being seen the one seen in command the most. She does a great job but is not fully confident of her abilities. She had a brief relationship with Interceptor Pilot Lieutenant Mark Bradley.

Jackson; Originally SHADO psychiatrist and interrogator, appears to be the only doctor in SHADO's medical centre. With a strong east-European accent, he appears to have a sinister manner which creates him to perhaps be untrustworthy and sly. 

Barry; Barry was one of SHADO's first recruits. After an all-night SHADO training session at her apartment, Barry was mistaken for being another woman Straker was seen by his wife. A warm person, and appears to be close to Straker, she was initially a space tracker in the Moonbase Command Sphere, before she was later in command of Moonbase.

Harrington; From ufoseries.com - "The sassy one".  Harrington is one of the space trackers on Moonbase.

Ford; Before joining SHADO, Ford was a television presenter, interviewing Dr. Strangers (real-life founder of NICUFO (National Investigations Committee on Unidentified Flying Objects) in 1969. Joining SHADO in 1978, he is a radio communications officer at SHADO HQ, but still makes the occasional error from time to time at SHADO HQ. 

Waterman; Waterman is an interceptor pilot, Skydiver Captain and Sky One pilot for SHADO. 

Carlin; Before joining SHADO, Peter was involved in a UFO incident when he was shot as was a friend suffering a mortal blow and his sister was abducted by the aliens. He was first seen as Skydiver One Captain and Sky One Pilot, which was obviously later filled by Lieutenant Waterman.

Ayshea; Ayshea Johnson (or Ayshea Borough) was a radio communications officer in SHADO HQ. Although she was credited on the end titles as Ayshea, for The Sound Of Silence she was credited as Lt. Johnson.

Bradley; Bradley was a moonbase interceptor pilot and once shared a relationship with Lieutenant Ellis, which was speculated after the death of an interceptor pilot in space. He was briefly promoted to Moonbase Commander when Foster went missing on the lunar surface.

Masters; Played by Jon Kelly in many minor roles throughout the show, Masters is one of SHADO's first recruits and was most commonly seen as Skydiver Operative. He is also one of the builders of a space probe that would follow a UFO back to its origin.

Ealand; Ealand is Straker's secretary, helping him blend in as SHADO commander and film executive, who sits outside his office and above SHADO HQ.

Shroeder; Initially the head doctor for SHADO in the medical centre, although the role seemed to be later filled throughout the majority of the show by Dr. Jackson, Shroeder was the doctor who examined the first alien SHADO captured.

Skydiver Navigator (Jeremy Wilkin); Identified in the script as Lt. Gordon Maxwell, and never is never referred to by his real name. He was one of SHADO's first recruits helping construct SHADO and is seen navigating in the background in Skydiver.

Skydiver Operator (Georgina Moon); Although the scripts identify her as Lt. Sylvia Howell, her name is never referenced on screen. She was seen in a minor role aboard Skydiver usually operating the controls and repeating "Cutting boosters" after carrying them out.

SHADO Radio Operative (Anouska Hempel); Although only appearing in minor roles for the series, but most notably in the episode Reflections In The Water, she appeared as a Skydiver Operative as well as a radio communicator operator in SHADO HQ.