21. Books

UFO did gain popularity in the important US market despite ITC never creating another series despite good ratings (for a while). This included the two paperback releases Flesh Hunters and Sporting Blood in 1973. In the UK however, UFO received its own Annual in 1971 published by Polystyle, whilst two books were published in the UK/Australia/Canada/South Africa/New Zealand. Also in the UK, Purnell published 4 soft-covered UFO activity books in 1971; Press Out Book, Dot to Dot book, Colouring Book and Sticker Fun Book. The same year, a UFO novel was published in Germany, titled "UFO - Unbekannte Flugobjekte -- In den Faengen der Ausserirdischen", by Wolfgang Klesl and Viktor Straub which saw the Aliens kidnapping scientists, and SHADO fearing that the Aliens are using the scientist's knowledge to circumvent the Earth defence systems and make SHADO inoperable. In 1975, a 139 hardback UFO novel by Paolo Proserpio was published in Italy containing a novelization of the UFO episodes Identified, Exposed, Survival, Conflict, ESP and Ordeal, and featured 5 photographs. 

In other publications, the first newspaper articles about UFO, from the 13 November 1969 issue of the UK newspaper "The Daily Mirror", with a rare shot of Antonia Ellis as Lt. Joan Harrington! In 1971, some UFO photos featured in the German magazine "Bravo", whilst a preview featured from the 13 July 1972 of the American magazine MONSTER TIMES. Also in America featured a series review, plot synopses, and broadcast dates from 1972-73 issues of the American magazine TV GUIDE. Micheal Billington photos featured in some US/UK teen magazines taken during the filming of UFO. An Ed Bishop interview was featured in an American newspaper dated 8 October 1973. Meanwhile, two articles featured on UK Magazines of Straker's car November 1973 issue of the UK magazine "FAB 208", whilst back in July 1973 the article also featured Foster's car too from a CARS AND CAR CONVERSIONS magazine, when the two UFO cars first went up for sale!

In 1974, 18 photo-novelizations of 18 UFO episodes were released in Italy, where the series was titled "I Film Di UFO" with each issue having 52 pages of captioned B&W photos from the episodes. The issues were 190x255 mm in size and distributed by Romana Periodici Illustrati. The same year, France released 7 of the Italian UFO photo-novelizations where series was titled "Les Film De UFO", and was distributed by Skandia. 1975 also saw an article issue of the UK magazine "Speed & Power" of Straker's and Foster's car again. Another article in 1977 from issue#5 of the American magazine STARLOG featured about the series. And finally, the last article of the series in the 1970s came from issue#16 of the UK magazine STARBURST, with quotes from director David Lane and designer Keith Wilson.