4. Welcome to SHADO

Welcome to the world of UFO. Here, it is 1980. The year of apparently glossy fashions and high heels here in the world of SHADO. Margret Thatcher in power, millions tune in to watch Dallas, the start of the Iraq War, Mount St. Helens erupts in May in Washington, killing 57. The world entering a new decade of the 1980s; aliens becoming friendly, games becoming blocky, mobile phones bigger than the sizes of bricks, the decade you could build time machines from sports cars. Music was all electronic, disco and glitz were flashing left, right and centre, the age of alcohol consumption and smoking. To the Falklands Affair in 1982 to inflation being in double figures at the start of the decade, the Supreme Headquarters Alien Defence Organisation has been constructed over a ten year period, beginning preparations back in 1970 on the subject of unidentified flying objects - space fiction is about to become fact ladies and gentlemen.

SHADO's purpose is to defend the Earth from the infiltrating Ufoes from a race of aliens kidnapping humans and using them to transplant themselves with human body parts to extend their lifespans. The aliens are dying. Their natural resources exhausted. They must come to Earth. They must come to Earth to survive. Based under a film studio in Harlington, London, SHADO's moonbase and a fleet of Skydiver submarines are on constant stand by from incoming UFOs detected by satellite SID (Space Intruder Detector). The first attempt to prevent alien UFOs from entering the Earth's atmosphere are the three moonbase interceptors. The second attempt comes from Skydiver with their fighter planes launched out from Skydiver. If Ufoes land on Earth ground, SHADO Mobiles track them down.

Led by the disciplined and extremely dedicated Commander Ed Straker, and overseen by General James Henderson from International Astrophysical Commission, second in command are Colonel Alec Freeman, Colonel Paul Foster and Colonel Virginia Lake. Moonbase is usually commanded by Lieutenant Gay Ellis or Lieutenant Nina Berry, whilst Skydivers are often commanded by Captain Peter Carlin or Captain Lew Waterman. With this, SHADO is ready to tackle and fight against the alien menace to protect the Earth and civilization from these mysterious extraterrestrials fighting for their very existence. Straker and SHADO are prepared for anything...