Chapter 2

Luke's POV

I walked into the house and didn't see my father anywhere, but who I did see made me want to run back out. I was about to when she spoke.

"Lucas, wait." She said and stood up. I clenched and unclenched my fists. Then I turned around.

"Why are you here?" I asked her.

"She's here because she wanted to talk to us. Together." My father walked out of the kitchen with two glasses of water.

"And if I don't want to?" I asked.

"Then too bad. Now sit." I followed his orders and sat on the love seat while my parents sat on the sofa.

"Don't be mean now, ry to be nice. I know how hard that may be for you." My eyes looked back and forth between them both, then they dropped to the floor as I slumped down low.

"Fine." I spoke through clenched teeth.

"Melissa, you can begin."

"Thank you." My mother looked at me and I didn't look back. "Lucas can you please lift your head, I would like to speak to your face, not your hair." I didn't give in.

"Why should I?"

"Because I'm your mother and you should respect me."

"Not when you left me, I shouldn't." I mumbled.

"What was that? Speak a little louder."

"I said, I shouldn't respect you since you left me. You left me when I wanted you here. And you weren't." I said louder and sat up a little straighter.

"I know, and I'm sorry, but here I am now. And I'm not going anywhere. I'm here to explain myself." I heard a bit of sympathy in her voice, which added to the little anger I had building up.

"Yeah, well, it's been ten long ass years, so start talking."

"Watch your language, boy." My father piped in.

"No, no. That's okay. He's just a little upset." Add more to the rising fury. Then she turned to me. "I wanted to apologize for leaving, first off. I didn't mean to hurt you. I just needed some time off."

"A week is time off. Maybe two, or three. But add eight and make it years is not some time off. That's called leaving."

"Call it what you want, but I needed time."

"And why did you leave at that time of the year? I was joining sports and getting awards. I came home to tell you I made the football team!" This time the anger was boiling. I looked at her and slowly stood up. "You don't even understand how excited I was to tell you! I wanted you to be the first to know!" I yelled. She stood with me and my father just sat there.

"Look, I know you're mad-" She began before I yelled.

"You think I'm mad? If you think this is me being mad then you really don't know me. I'm just getting started! I have ten years of hatred towards you that I've bottled up inside, and we have a long night ahead of us!" I looked at her with rage filling my eyes. She looked a bit frightened and her and my father looked back and forth between me and each other.

Oh, she's in for it.

*****

Thank God it was Saturday, because if it was Sunday, and I started school Monday, then I would be so tired I wouldn't be able to walk down the hallways. We ended up staying up until three in the morning trying to work things out. Little excessive, right? Well we barely even worked things out. My father was ready for bed at eleven'o'clock and I wouldn't let him. My mother's rage was starting to come out and I didn't want to be stuck with her all night, just the two of us. So he let her finally crash in the guest bedroom when we came to a small conclusion. She would rent an apartment downtown and try to be in my life more, and I promised I would make an effort, a small one at that, but she seems to think we could be a family again. Both my father and I know that won't happen. Yet her mind is set on it, so let her be disappointed. And we are all having dinner together at a nice restaurant uptown next Saturday. Great.