Chapter Twelve

PART ONE -- DRESS

Ikki didn't touch her pocket. That was something the kids had learned - someone can tell if you carry something valuable based on if you touch where you keep it. Instead, she swung her arms by her sides and smiled at everyone.

Su was next to her, hands in pockets, slightly annoyed. Wen and Zari were off doing who-knows-what, who-knows-where. "Just.. tying up loose ends," Wen had explained.

As soon as the girls reached the stand that sold clothes, they looked around for something that would look nice on Su. She was going to go on a date with Wen later that week, her first date ever, and as soon as she'd told Katara and Izumi they freaked out and insisted she go buy herself a new dress. It took some convincing from Zuko and Bumi, who were the unofficial bankers of the house, but they'd pulled through with two gold pieces and seven silver.

"What about this one?" Ikki asked, holing up a yellow dress with orange outlines.

"No," Su said. "Something more 1920's."

"Okay.. This?"

"No, that's 1820's."

Ikki rolled her eyes. "I don't know this, all I ever got is Jinora's old stuff! I never knew what is what."

"Something that touches my ankles, is just one long piece of fabric without frills. Or puffs. Or anything of the sort."

After nearly half an hour, a store clerk asked what they were looking for.

"I need a new dress for my date," Su said. "Something without frills or puffs or anything extra."

"Simple, but classy." The dark-skinned girl examined Su. "I have just the thing. It used to be my daughter's, but she only wore it once. It's at a low price - two silver pieces."

"We'll take a look," Ikki said, exited.

The clerk - Jaide, according to her name tag - led them into a back room.

Now, Su was unlike her sister in a lot of ways, except that she always hated dresses. You can't fight in a dress, you can't climb a tree, you can't hang upside-down and scare the shit out of unsuspecting travelers.

So she wasn't expecting to have her eyes widen at this dress as soon as she saw a mirror.

It was form-fitting without being to obvious, hugging her curves in all the right places. The entire thing was a navy blue cloth that was very comfortable and stretchy so she could fight if she had to, while still reaching her ankles. Her muscular arms were free of sleeves, but it matched here her swimsuit was so you couldn't see a tan line. It was a flowy dress that reached her ankles, and it looked like a doll's in the way that the front section was totally lace, save the navy collar. And the lace wasn't itchy!

Su looked at her low bun and pulled it out, finger-brushing it so it hung in dark waves that reached her lower back. She pulled the thick metal band from her upper arm (which she always wore in case she got in a fight) and made herself a pair of stud earrings that looked like two silver hearts. She used the larger part to make herself a chain choker necklace with a heart charm.

As soon as she stepped out from the curtain, Jaide grinned widely and Ikki's jaw dropped.

"We'll take it!" The Airbender nearly screamed.

"Good, I would've made you if you didn't want to."

"I like it," Su said quietly. "I really, really do."

Ikki handed the woman four silver pieces. As soon as she tried to deny them, she said, "You deserve a goddamn tip for giving us this."

"Tell your daughter thanks," Su said as she was dragged from the store by an excited Ikki.