Nomad Mate *

Laura Church and Michael Packard

Nomad Mate

Laura Church fold the last bit of laundry and placed it in the white basket. she gathered her laundry pods sheets in the small change jar and put them on top of the clothing.
She was hopeful this would be her last visit to the laundromat. If everything went according to plan she wouldn't even be in the city next Wednesday. She would be in southern oaks, in her new apartment, owned by her new employer and Alpha.
3 days later she pulled up to a three story ranch style Villa and turned off her GPS.

She was 21 years old and had never been a part of a pack.
her parents had been nomads and second chance mates.

Growing up a nomad was great and terrible at the same time.
She had grown up with adventure, explored places most people would never get to imagine, and met people of almost every type and situation.

Her life taught her to value relationships, even the short ones, not physical possessions. Losing her parents two years ago had reinforced that belief.

Joining a pack had nothing to do with the apartment, the paperwork they could provide or the amount of money that the job would pay. It was about having a sense of connection.
Belonging hadn't been an issue when her parents had been alive. They had provided that. Without them she felt alone. No amount of scenery could dispel the feeling of being adrift. It had taken six months for her request to join a pack to be approved for consideration and a pack to accept her.

Wildwood pack was now her home. Meeting the alpha was the last step before beginning her new life.

A short brunette waited for her to pour cuz she pulled up to the villa. Luckily there was enough space and the parking area to fit both her SUV and a small utility trailer she pulled behind it. She exited the SUV smiled and shook the woman's hand.

"Laura Church?" the woman questions but didn't give Laura a chance to confirm before she led the way to the front entrance. "We've been expecting you. You're a few hours early but that's just fine. Your appointment is already ready for you. Alpha Van Dien won't be back for another hour so you can use that time to settle in your apartment. If you need anything just ring the number on the fridge." The woman spoke as they crossed a small lobby and entered an elevator.

"My name is Tammy Bell. By the way, I'm sorry if I haven't said already." She pressed the button for the second floor. "Anyway, if you tell me when to expect your belongings I'll have them send up."
They exited the elevator and Tammy looked at her expectantly. "You can give me the name of the moving company if you're unsure of their arrival time."

"Oh, that's not necessary. I don't have a lot of belongings, just the things in the SUV and the utility trailer."

Tammy blinked. "I see. I'll have them unloaded and brought up to your apartment."

Laura ignored the slight hint of disapproval. Pack wolves didn't understand nomads, lone wolves or rogues. They tended to group them all in the same category.

The woman handed her a key ring with three keys.

"The red key is to the apartment, green is to the park Gates, keep them closed and locked except when entering or exiting. The orange key is for the pack Hall. You most likely won't need it but pack members have it in case they do."

Five minutes later Laura was staring at the beige walls of the bear apartment. Maybe it only looks so huge because there was nothing in it.

"I thought it was furnished." She hoped her disappointment didn't show. She didn't have enough stuff to furnish this massive space.