Chapter 1- The Errand Boy

Iceberg Lounge
Y/N's POV

Please be in a good mood.

Taking a deep breath I slowly opened the door in front of me and stepped into a small but cozy office. "You wanted to see me boss?" I asked, seeing him at his desk, reading though a newspaper while a cigar hung out of the corner of his mouth.

"I did" He replied, laying the paper down, looking at me as I stepped a little closer and stoop up straight. "But first take that ridiculous thing off"

Fine. Only because this place should be safe enough. Reaching up I pulled my hood down before loosening the straps of my gas mask and took it off, clipping it to my belt. And that's when I noticed how cold it was in here. Normally the boss did keep it on the cooler side but this was colder than normal.

"Now I've got a little package I need delivered." Opening a drawer he pulled out a small cardboard box that fit in his hand along with a. folded up piece of paper, holding them for a second before tossing both to me. The box was heavier than it looked. "That paper is a set of coordinates. Go there and wait until someone shows up, and when they go give them the box" The boss said, leaning back in his chair.

"How should I be expecting?" I asked. Unfolding the paper it showed a picture of a old two story building across the river that I recognized. Written under the photo were the words Meet Here in big letters.

He smiled, which didn't set right with me. "Let's just say I own someone. And that box there is my way of getting even"

Who the hell could the Penguin possibly of a favor too? Wait..........ah shit. If it's the Joker I'm going to hang myself.

Time-skip

Just because I grew up in the worst part of this rotting carcass of a city doesn't automatically qualify me to be the freaking mailman every time Penguin needs something delivered. Sure I know all the short cuts are but that means I also know where the best places to get shot are!

But I guess that doesn't really matter now, I'm basically there already. The mud underneath me made a wet slopping sound as I walked down one of the many alleyways I had used more times than I could count. Was there I chance I could get raped, mugged, kidnapped or a combination of all three? Yes. But did this get me to my destination quicker, reducing the time I had to be here? Also yes.

Looking up I was right in front of the building where the meet up was supposed to take place. A fire escape ran up the wall I was next to and next to that was a dumpster that was filled to the brim with old mattresses. Note to self: If someone throws me off the roof, try and land on that.

Tapping my jacket pocket I felt that the box was still there before I stayed to ascend the starts. I had wanted to walk up as quietly as possible, but the rusty platform had other plans and echoed with every step I took. When I finally got to the roof I found it almost barren, just a flat slab of brick. Save for the women standing in front of me who was dressed head to toe in an armored black suit, complete with a mask and a cape. Batgirl. Well it could be worse, it could have been that guy with the red helmet. He about blew my head off with a shotgun last time we meet. I hate that guy.

"I assume your Penguin's lackey" She asked, crossing her arms while I tried to steady myself.

"Y-Yeah. That'd be me" I said pulling out the box, holding it up for her to see. "Boss said to give this to you, said it was his way of getting even with Batman.

I tossed it to her and she easily caught it with one hand. "What is it?" She asked, moving it up and down as if to judge it's weight.

"No idea. The boss wouldn't tell me and I was afraid I might break whatever was inside of I opened it. I'm kind of a klutz"

She nodded before slowly peeling the lid up to look inside. What it was glowed with a really bright green light that I could see from around the edges, and it illuminated part of her face at the same time. "So that's what he meant" She said to herself, closing it before putting it behind her back. Probably on that impressive belt the bat family seemed to love so much.

Okay, now that that's done I should get out of here before she tries to arrest me. Taking a step back towards the edge of the roof I glanced back at the fire escape before I heard her speak.

"And where do you think you're going?" Looking back I watched Batgirl cross her arms again, and almost amused look on her face.

"Home? I have a pet penguin to feed" I replied, taking another small step back. I was on the very edge now, apart of my foot was on open air.

"Are you serious about that last part?"

"Yeah, his name's Scuttles"

"That's adorable" She said with a small chucked. The tiny smile she had left as quickly as it came, and was replaced with a stern gaze. Almost like the bat-glare, but not as intimidating. "But before you leave I want some information. Tell me something important"

"Umm. The human body has on average five to six liters of blood?" I said hesitantly, if it wasn't for my mask she probably would have seen how tense I was. That is if my body language didn't give it away.

"I was referring to the criminal underworld!" She said, sounding impatient. Not that I can blame her, I was trying to stall until I had a clear shot of getting out of here.

"I'm the wrong guy to ask. I'm at the bottom of the totem pole"

"Oh really?" Her hand darted for her belt and I took this as my queue to leave. Before she could throw anything at my I jumped off the roof, tucking into a ball as I plummeted toward the dumpster.

Luckily I landed in the middle, right on top of a mattress, but I didn't sink into it like I hope would happen. Instead I bounced out of the dumpster and just about face planted in the middle of the alleyway. "Yep, gonna feel that tomorrow"

"You break anything?" I head Batgirl ask. Slowly turning my head I looked up to see her standing right in front of me. Y/N you dumbass ! How the hell did you forget she has a grappling gun?

"No. I don't think so" I said, fighting through the pain that radiated across my skull as I sat up. She nodded and took a knee.

"Now how about you start talking about your boss" She said, reaching for my mask before I pushed her hand away.

"Okay okay" God I know this is going to come back to haunt me in the future. "What do you want to know?"