Chap 12

Annabeth's pov:

"Annabeth and Leo are at the top of the leader board!" Chiron showed a long display, filled with names.

Leo and I were first, the rest of the names blank.

"Why are the rest of the names blank?" I asked Chiron.

"The last competition only had one winner," Chiron said. "So naturally, the rest of the names are blank."

I nodded, thinking about how this benefited us. If we became third or fourth, we still had a slight chance of first, or at least in the top three. I smiled to Leo, and he understood.

"What's the next event?" Piper asked, that was odd. Even she didn't know what it was.

"You will find out when it's time," he turned to a wood nymph, whispering something. She nodded and walked out hurriedly, probably looking to find something. "The golden egg, please."

He glanced down at my foot, where the prized possession was being held. I picked it up and gave it to him, still staring at its beauty. Another wood nymph came and took it off him, trudging to the forest.

The competitiveness in me had died out, and the only thing that I could deal right now were the ache and cramps of my muscle joints. My eyes were starting to strain too, probably from how quickly I had to adjust to the light from the egg and Leo.

I stood up, gesturing for Leo to follow. He obliged, and we waited till we were out of reach of the few campers.

"Any plans?" I asked, and Leo shrugged in follow.

He furrowed his eyebrows, planting a seat on the marshy ground. "You?" He tilted his head up.

I followed his actions, sitting adjacent to him. "Guess we're just going to wing it." I scrunched my nose. "Becoming third will still make us top, so there's really nothing to worry."

Leo nodded his head. "Right."

A ladybug (bird for British) flew around my face, landing softly on my arm. I peered closely at it, a beautiful dark red ladybug with seven spots marked neatly on its back. The analysing didn't last long though, for the ladybug must've been bored from standing in one area for so long that it quickly fluttered out of sight, and I sighed longingly.

It was a beautiful day today, the sun's rays beating down on my face, though the cool wind's breeze satisfied me. There were a lot of bugs today though, those miniature green flies nearly finding its way to my mouth. They were annoying really, the kind of bugs that all came swarming down on you in the summer.

Shaking my head from those thoughts, I turned to Leo who was fiddling with a screwdriver. "How do you do that?" I asked.

Leo looked up at me questionably, his hands now resting on his lap. "My toolbelt, I can grab any tool I want from it."

"Really?" I asked.

Leo laughed nervously. "Annabeth, you know that."

I sucked in a breath. Leo didn't know about my sudden 'change', and with the sunny atmosphere and calming mood, I had forgotten about it. I cursed inwardly, knowing that this would be a grave mistake.

"Right," I shook my head as if trying to regain those forgotten thoughts.

It didn't work.

Leo quickly changed the subject, and I thanked him inwardly. "You know those days where you're just thinking about life?"

"Yeah?" I asked quizzically.

"I'm having one of those days." Leo laughed, sending me to laugh with him.