Chapter 6

*

Lilly

After accidentally spending several hours in the library I finally had to admit defeat. My stomach was loudly protesting the fact that I hadn't eaten all day and a dull headache was brewing in the back of my skull. I now knew way more than I wanted to about a variety of subjects but I was still no closer to the answer I needed. Hell, I wasn't even really sure what my question was any more. Religion could do that to a person.

It was early afternoon when I gathered up my belongings and headed to the checkout counter with the few books I wanted to take with me. The same guy was still there and he smiled at me warmly as he scanned the barcodes in my selections.

"I see you found the religion section."

A nasty little voice in the back of my head wanted me to say something like duh or obviously, but that was just my hunger talking. Instead I politely replied, "I did indeed. Thank you for the directions. I probably would have gotten lost in here otherwise."

"Yeah it can be a little overwhelming the first few times you come in." He piled my books up and slid them to me across the counter top. He smiled again and I saw a flash of dimples. His blond hair fell in perfect sections on top of his head and over his forehead, reflecting the waning sunlight that was streaming in from the windows. His eyes were an odd shade of grey but they smiled along with his mouth.

When I didn't say anything else and went to grab for my pile of books he put his hand on top of mine to stop me. "Wait. So you're a student at NYU right?"

I pulled my hand out from under his and pointed to the student ID hooked to my bag next to my keys. "That's what the card says." I smiled so he knew I was teasing. I didn't like to hurt people's feelings.

He flushed. "Right... what I mean is, I'm a student too. What year are you?"

"Sadly just a freshman. I still have a long way to go." I made a move to grab the books again, this time actually getting them into my arms before I was yet again detained.

"Oh, cool. Don't worry though, it goes quickly. I'm a senior. My names Jonah by the way. Jonah Dawson."

I'd been taught manners under my parent's roof so I automatically replied, "It's nice to meet you Jonah, I'm Lilly Porter."

He grinned wide. "And it's nice to meet you, Lilly. Maybe I'll see you around campus. Unless you make a habit of hanging out in the library." He leaned across the desk on his elbows bringing him closer to me. He smelled like generic cologne. Nice, but forgettable.

"Yeah, maybe." I answered noncommittally with a little wave from my free hand. "See you around Jonah."

"I sure hope so, Lilly." he called after me as I made a break for it.

When I turned to look back he gave me a little wave in return and I hurried outside. I took a few deep breaths of the sour smelling air (some moments I really missed home) and quickly forced the encounter out of my mid. A few steps down the sidewalk later and my stomach made itself known with an ominous growl. With a cheery feeling I gladly went in search of some pizza.

By the time I had consumed three overly large slices of pepperoni and slowly made my way back to my dorm room, dusk was falling. I stomped up the three flights of stairs and shuffled down the hallway until I reached my door. I was fumbling around with my keys and trying to balance the books I'd checked out when the door was suddenly pulled open. I was so startled I nearly dropped everything.