Chapter 9

*

Lilly

Madame Dina's turned out to be a quiet little place nestled in the middle of a row of alternative coffee shops, pagan bookstores, and thrift shops. I could even make out the sign for a different psychic several storefronts down at the end of the block. I smirked. It wasn't nearly as shady of a neighborhood as I had feared it would be and I let out a relieved breath while surveying the street. A handful of people I labeled "alternative hipsters" in my head shuffled along the sidewalks and in and out of stores. The psychic's shop in front of me was dark and the little square sign on the inside doorknob read "Closed" through the glass. I hadn't expected any differently though.

I stepped back a few paces and took in the front view. The psychic's window display featured a table and chair set, spindly and antique, with faded jade-green paint flecking off in places to show the bare wood underneath. Across the table someone had thrown a thin and silky looking scarf to act as a makeshift tablecloth. It was a garish mix of red, gold, and purple. An open faced tarot deck was fanned out over the scarf; the cards were meaningless to me but as I looked them over my eyes caught on the card at the end of the deck. It was the last one before the edge of the table. On the card there was a white horse carrying a rider dressed in black armor. The rider carried a black banner with a white flower emblazoned on it and peasants and kings fell to their knees before him. Where his face should be there was only a blank-eyed skull, and yet somehow it looked to me like he was smiling.

I shivered and moved my gaze to the writing on the window. It was painted with deep indigo lettering that listed the psychic's name, address, hours, and thankfully a phone number. There was what I recognized as a third eye painted at the top of the glass door and underneath was a list that read "Psychic Readings, Dream Interpretations, Fortunes, Tarot. Walk Ins Welcome."

I took out my phone to add Madame Dina to my contact list. I'd call her some time tomorrow when she was open and make an appointment. I had to swallow my skepticism and remind myself yet again that I was all in now and I had to start somewhere.

"I probably shouldn't say this since she's my neighbor, but Madame Dina is a fake."

I whipped my head to the side and was startled to find a young woman standing beside me. She too gazed at the window display dispassionately. I must have been really absorbed in my own thoughts because I hadn't heard her approach at all.

The woman was somewhere in her mid-twenties and tall. She had an elfin face that was long and symmetrical and haughty. Her long white-blonde hair fell strait over her shoulders and strategically placed chunks of it were dyed an icy blue. Her eyes were a similar shade and they studied me back openly. A small silver stud shone from the right side of her nose and she was dressed in tight faded jeans and an oversized white peasant shirt.

The woman continued to speak when I failed to respond right away. "Katrina down the block, on the other hand, is the real deal. But her gift is weak. She's good for the occasional fortune or vision, but she has to pad her readings with a liberal amount of bull." The woman pointed with one long slender arm towards the psychic I had seen at the end of the block as she spoke.

"Oh." I managed lamely. I was disappointed and then disappointed in myself for being disappointed. What had I really expected?

"Depending on what you need I can recommend a few people who are legit if you like?"

I chewed on my bottom lip. "I was really just curious..." I didn't know this chick from Adam after all, maybe she got a piece of the action if she recommended me to her "legit" psychics. Or maybe she didn't like Madame Dina for personal reasons. Or maybe she was just cracked in the head.