Chapter 3: It's getting there

Sebastian Moran was considered by many as the second most dangerous man in the world, of course, second to Jim Moriarty. Astrid could tell that in Sebastian's own not so humble opinion, he was second to no-one, but Moriarty was his boss, so he kept that secret to himself over fear that if his boss found out about his real thoughts he might lose his job, as well as maybe an ear or a toe.

Sebastian, being as experienced as he was, was assigned by Jim to train Astrid and make her into 'the best possible version of herself', as Jim would so encouragingly say. He had trained her as instructed by Jim, he taught her basic techniques which weren't difficult for Astrid to learn as she had done a lot of research. The more complicated elements were handling the different makes of guns, but she managed to learn the ropes quick enough. After about three weeks she was pretty much ready for the field.

Boxing was a major part of learning fighting skills, she spent hours in the ring trying to prepare for any task that Jim threw at her. Over the weeks she felt a gradual progression, she could feel herself getting stronger and stronger, she knew it, and so did Jim and especially Sebastian when after weeks of attempts at the beefy blonde, she manged to catch him off guard and get three could hits at him and temporarily knock him to his knees.

"She's ready." Jim stated that day as Sebastian quickly clambered to his feet and pushed all his hair back, "She got you good, Seb."

"She got me off guard, I just slipped" he rambled and Astrid laughed unwrapping the glove liners from around her fists.

"Don't make me remind you of rule number one." Astrid joked as he practically poured a full litre of water over his head and chuckled to himself, Jim walked out the room and Astrid skipped after him, "so, boss, what's the mission? What is it exactly that I'm ready for?"

"There's a gala tomorrow night that I want you to attend with me, I've already arranged what you will be wearing." He said not looking at her, "most of the people I have ever worked with will be there and I want you to meet them. If you're going to work with me then you'll have to understand the type of work that I do and you need to get to know my consultants."

"Oh, so I'm working with you not for you?"

"That was what we agreed, was it not." he still didn't lock his eyes onto hers.

"Well Seb works for you, and he's been here much longer than me and is much more experienced."

"Well, if you keep going the way your going, you'll be his equal."

"Oh what an honour." Astrid smirked sarcastically.

Jim stopped walking, trying to fight a smile as he looked at her.

"It's getting there." He smirked and Astrid smiled to herself, "I'll have someone bring the dress up to you at 5 o'clock and you can sort yourself out from there. Be ready by half seven."

They continued walking up a large marble staircase.

"And what will I be wearing?"

"You'll find out tomorrow."

"It better not be something stupid."

"You'll see."