Chapter 20: The whispers

The next morning, Astrid found herself being taken to an art gallery with the two men who she had grown to love spending time with, especially to watch them thinking there silly little heads off.

She still knew her dad had found her, she couldn't tell whether she was happy or scared, the thought of her being reunited with her father was an overwhelming though, that Astrid couldn't get out of her head. None the less, Astrid was still pleased, as well as amused to find herself in an art gallery with one of the people Jim had hired for this case doing her best to convince Sherlock that a painting of a starry night wasn't a fake.

"That painting has been subjected to every test known to science." Mrs Wenceslas argued.

"well, it's a very good fake then." Sherlock said, scrolling through things on his phone, he suddenly looked to the frustrated lady, "You knew about this didn't you? This was all you."

"Inspector, my time is being wasted," she rolled her eyes, "would you mind showing yourself, and you're friends out."

As she speaks the pink phone rings and Sherlock quickly answers, he holds it up so we can all hear.

"It's a fake. That's why Woodbridge and Cairns were killed." he said speedily, and after no response he continued, "Oh, come on. Proving it's just the detail. The painting is a fake. I've solved it. I've figured it out. It's a fake! That's the answer. That's why they were killed."

There was still no reply

"Okay, I'll prove it. Give me time. Will you give me time?"

After a moment, a voice spoke down the phone.

"Ten."

"Oh god, it's a kid. Its a kid!"

"What did he say?"

"Ten, its a countdown," he said, staring so intensely he could burn wholes right through the paint," it's counting."

"Nine."

"The painting is a fake," he yelled, "how can I prove it."

He looked at Wenceslas.

"Eight"

"This kid will die. Tell me why the painting is a fake. Tell me!"

"Seven"

Before she could answer he stopped her;

"No shut up, don't say anything, it only works if I figure it out." he began to mutter to himself, "Must be possible. Must be staring me in the face."

"Six."

"Woodbridge knew, but how?"

"Five."

"It's speeding up." Lestrade almost wined.

"Sherlock." John urgently called, trying to speed him up.

"Oh." realisation suddenly dawned on his face.

"Four."

"In the planetarium! You heard it too. Oh, that is brilliant! That is gorgeous!." he chuckled to himself as he gave John the pink phone and typed something into his phone.

"Three."

"What are you talking about." Astrid called forward, she too was panicking a little, she didn't think Jim would kill a kid, but she was still nervous,

"This is beautiful, I've loved this."

"Two."

"Sherlock!" Lestrade yelled furiously and Sherlock snatched the phone from John and spoke clearly into it.

"The Van Buren Supernova!"

"Please. Is somebody there?" Came the young boys voice, causing everyone in the room, including Astrid, to take a breath.

"Jesus." she panted, "how did y-"

"Somebody help me."

"There you go. Go find out where he is and pick him up." he gave the phone to Lestrade and began to explain to us what he knew, "The Van Buren Supernova, so-called, exploding star, only appeared in the sky in eighteen fifty-eight."

he walked out, leaving the room gobsmacked, John leant forward, also realising.

"So, how can it have been painted it the 1640s?" he asked himself and sighed as he got a text-which he ignored- and then went with the others to Scotland Yard.

"You know, it's interesting. Bohemian stationery, an assassin named after a Prague legend, and you, Miss Wenceslas. This whole case has a distinctly Czech feeling about it. Is that where this leads?" he said as the old lady looked down, "what are we looking at, Inspector?"

" Well, um, criminal conspiracy, fraud, accessory after the fact at the very least. The murder of the old woman, all the people in the flats-"

"I didn't know any of that." she panicked, "please, you have to believe me."

Sherlock briefly nodded as she continued

"I just wanted my share, the thirty million," she paused, but the silence urged her on, "I found a little old man in Argentina. Genius. I mean, really: brushwork immaculate, could fool anyone-"

"Hmm." Sherlock cut off sarcastically.

"Well, almost anyone." she continued, "But I didn't know how to go about convincing the world the picture was genuine. It was just an idea – a spark which he blew into a flame."

"Who?" Sherlock said sharply.

"I don't know," the lady replied causing Lestrade to laugh, disbelievingly.

"It's true! I mean, it took a long time, but eventually I was put in touch with people... his people." she slowed down as Sherlock sat up in his chair, all attentive. "Well, there was never any real contact; just messages... whispers."

Sherlock leaned forward

"And did those whispers have a name."

There was a pause, until.

"Moriarty." The name sounded like poison was being extracted from the frightened ladies' lips, as Sherlock sat back, as if he was satisfied by the answer.

After the dramatic scene in the yard, Astrid decided that she would go back to Baker Street, after all, today was the day she would be back with Jim, today she would be revealed. It had only been a short time with the Baker Street boys, but it had been most eventful. She knew she would probably be seeing them soon.

In the cab back, she decided to give Jim an update.

Wenceslas told them it was you, but I think Sherly knew anyway.

AH

She sent it and after a few seconds, a reply came.

Goody, Seb will text you with instructions for tomorrow night. I heard you spoke to him this morning.

JM

Astrid chuckled at him changing the subject

Whatever you say, boss. And yes, Seb was very comforting.

AH