Ellen Mortem

Ellen's POV

"Hey Ellen. Wake up." Mikasa shook me numerous times on both my shoulders. Today was another training day that we all have to go through, and thinking about doing the same thing for another half of the year just made me wish that time could go faster.

"Mikasa," I grumbled, pulling my covers up. "five more minutes."

"Ellen. If you don't wake up, Commander Keith will come up every morning instead."

"Ugh, fine." I sighed, exasperated, and slowly got off of my bed. The other people who I share the room with have already gone, and I was the only one left. 'Gee, thanks for not waking me up.' Note the sarcasm.

Taking off my pajamas, Mikasa helped get my uniform from my wardrobe and threw them to me. "Where are your harness?" She asked.

"Bottom drawer." I replied. She bent down and opened the drawer that was in the wardrobe.

"Catch." She toosed the harness to me after I was done wearing my uniform. Tugging here and there, I gave up after not being able to wear it properly and let her help me with the buckles and stuff. "You seriously still haven't mastered these?"

"They're hard to put on, okay." I put on my boots and brown jacket after that. Pulling my dark colored hair into a messy ponytail, we headed out of my room and went down to the training grounds.

----------

Commander Keith shouted from the distance as he tells us instructions on what our training today will be. I hadn't paid much attention to him as I already knew what it will be; hand-to-hand combat. After he was done screaming, or shouting, we all found ourselves a partner to train with and got a wooden dagger from him.

I stayed where I was though until Jean came, a dagger in his hand, and asked whether he could pair up with me. "Sure." I replied and the both of us backed a bit, getting ready for the fight.

He made the first move, bringing his right fist at me straight to me face but I quickly dodged it and immediately knee kicked him in the gut. That didn't stop him though as he swung his other fist, the one with the dagger, and punched me hard on the groin.

I winced in pain and took two steps away from him. I huffed and advanced at him again. I swung my left fist to his face and he dodged it easily. When he saw that the right side of my upper body was open, he was about to kick me there but I already knew from the start he'd head for that.

With my quick reflexes, I blocked his kick with my right arm and twisted it with my left. Using all of the strength I could use, I quickly grabbed the dagger away from his hand and forcefully flipped him over, then pinned him down to the ground. Using the dagger, I pointed it straight to his eye.

"Whoa, Ellen." Jean put both his hands up, signaling to me that he'd given up. "Dagger, too close."

"Hunh," I got off from him and reached out a hand for him to grab. "Great fight though." I smiled and gave him back the dagger. He smiled and patted my back.

Once he was gone, looking for another person to train with, Screaming Keith suddenly called out for me.

"Ellen Mortem!" He repeat after I jogged up to him, saluting. "These are Squad Leaders Hanji Zoe and Levi Ackerman." He gestured to the people beside him, pointing to which was which. "And this," He pointed to another soldier that was standing on his opposite side, "is Eren Jaeger. They are the superiors of the Survey Corps and they've come to see how all of you brats are doing."

I looked at the three of them for a moment, especially at Eren as his surname was somehow familiar to someone I knew. Facing back at Keith, I asked. "Why did you call out for me, Sir?" I asked him politely.

But instead of him answering, Levi was the one who spoke. "I'll fight with you, brat."

'These superiors really need to stop calling us brats.' I thought. As he stepped forward, I noticed that he was the shortest among the three superiors but a mere ten centimeters taller than me. I coughed, trying to hold back my laughter but he seemed to have noticed it as he shot me a glare.

"Don't think highly of yourself, brat. I'm taller than you." He tsked and walked towards where the group of trainees are. When he found an empty spot, he positioned himself, getting ready for the fight.

He didn't ask or said anything before he could charge so I had a late reaction once he swung his right fist at me with full force. Luckily, I quickly dodged it and bent down, going to his back and kicked it. He turned around and caught my leg before I could retreat and swung me down to the ground.

I landed on my front and I felt my arms being pinned to my back by him. When I looked up, I noticed a few of the trainees were watching us. Mikasa was at one side trying not to rush to me and help. Armin was beside her, holding her arm tightly, making sure she wouldn't escape.

"Give up yet, brat?" I heard Levi whisper in my ear. I tried to move away from his grip but he was just too strong. But I noticed that he hasn't pinned down my legs and I knew what I could do next.

"Nah. I'm not done." I bent my back and lifted my leg towards him, kind of making an 'o' shape wih my body. Using both my foot, I quickly caught his neck and tried to squeeze it as hard as I can. Once I heard him choke and his arms let go of mine, I turned my upper body to the left and grabbed both his shoulders.

I tried lifting him off me, using all the strength I have left, and flipped him backwards as hard as I could to the ground after I got my foot out of his neck. Pinning him down as how he did to me, I secured both his legs with my knees and his arms with my hands.

"Give up yet, Squad Leader?" I mimicked his words and grinned at him.

He tsked again. "Just for you to know, brat, I'm not also a Squad Leader but a Lance Corporal." He forced himself out of my grip and stood up. "Anyways, not bad for a trainee like you. Flexible."

Then it hit me. "The Lance Corporal?" I strained my neck just to see him.

"What about it?"

"Nothing." I mumbled. "Anyway, it was nice meeting you, Lance Corporal Levi."

He looked at me, his arms crossed. "Same to you, brat."