Chapter 11

TOBIAS POV

I lower my gun.

She doesn't—can't. There is an odd blankness in her petrified expression. I can see more in the guards' faces, which are covered by gas masks, than I can in hers.

I am caught off guard, unable to speak. Never did I believe that I would come face to face with Tris again like this. And now that I am, now that she knows that I am alive, I don't know where to even begin.

But I don't have to, not yet at least. Right this second, our priority is getting out of this building so that I can have a large enough window to blow up this lab without anyone getting hurt; I'm assuming their objective is the same as mine if they are here.

"Tris," I say.

"Wh-wha—" she stutters, unable to comprehend as she aims her gun downward along with her gaze.

I grab her arm, and even in that split second I am struck by how warm that familiar feeling of having my hands on her is. "Tris, we have to go."

She is frozen until I press her forward, and only then is she pliable in my grip. The guards behind us are puzzled about what to do but ultimately decide that their leader is not in any danger except for that posed by the bomb. They follow us out of the lab.

As I am migrating us all downstairs so we can escape, I notice that Tris is hysterical. Struggling to hold the gun in her jittery hands, she tucks it away, pressing her free hand to her forehead. While I understand that she does have the right to panic, it begins slowing us down when she can't walk.

"Hey, you need to hold it together so we can get out of here," I say.

She laughs at the sound of my voice, breathing in shudders. "This isn't real," she mumbles. "This isn't real."

It was something she often said during her simulations, and I worry that she is denying this entire situation. Her time in Erudite sent her into a constant state of confusion, and I can't afford for her to be in that mindset right now.

So I drag her with me into the elevator uncaringly, determined to get out of here before the factionless can figure out what is going on and send reinforcements. A moment ago I was flippant about whether or not I was going to die, but this is different, with my life tied to hers.

"Come on," I urge as we step out into the lobby.

There are nearly twenty Dauntless surrounding both Erudite and factionless hostages, and I am impressed with their execution of this plan. They all watch us as if they have seen a ghost—I suppose they have.

The Dauntless look from me to Tris, trying to figure out their orders. And when I glance over at Tris, I know that she is in no state to give commands.

I clear my throat.

"We need to get out of the building," I declare. "And I advise the Erudite residents not to go upstairs for the next few minutes."

Something clicks, and everyone starts moving. The Dauntless keep their rifles aimed at the factionless, warning them to stay still as they back out of the room. As soon as they hit the doorway, they turn and run.

"Let's go," I say to Tris.

She is still stiff under my hand, and a whole new wave of dread washes over me. I have no idea what I am in for.

Snow crunches under our boots as we run. The train grows closer and closer until we are mere meters away. I turn back to estimate the distance between us and Erudite, and I decide that this will suffice.

I pull the detonator out of my pocket and press the button.

The entire seventh floor of the building explodes in a rush of fire and glass. Nobody, including me, was expecting the shattering noise, and we all steady ourselves as we watch the burst claim the suicide serum lab.