Chapter 22

TRIS POV

Marriage, it turns out, changes everything.

Who would have thought that a few documents and a couple of rings could drastically shift a relationship's dynamic? Certainly it demonstrates a more permanent level of devotion to get married, but I couldn't have ever known the other pieces that came with that without experiencing it firsthand.

There is a trust there that I never thought we would be able to attain with our deceptive history. Somehow, I felt that progress through being open to talking about simple, unimportant emotions or thoughts that we had. There is also a certain coordination we share now, as if we are part of the same whole. We may bump into each other during our morning routines, but both of us laugh softly in unison. That is how it has always been between us; we are a compatible train wreck.

Our kisses are different too. Tobias has always sparked an eager ache in me, but since marrying him mere days ago, it is as if every touch, every sensation has been heightened.

It makes me curious about my parents. Did they experience something similar too when they were first married? From my outlook, they were always happy with each other, content. But did completing daily chores together and sharing minimal contact prevent them from knowing the same passion that I know?

Maybe it did, or maybe I didn't know them enough to know that it didn't. All I know is that so far, marriage has been one of the highlights of my life, and I can't stop basking in the euphoric high I feel from being Tobias's wife.

"Hello? Earth to Tris?" Christina snaps her fingers in front of my face. "What is with you today? You're practically glowing."

My face burns. "I don't know what you're talking about." Apparently, none of my friends have figured it out yet, and Tobias and I aren't about to call attention to ourselves about it. But as one part of me wants them to be completely surprised by the news, I am practically bursting at the seams to tell someone.

"It's true," Uriah agrees, sliding his tray to the end of the table and dumping it into the garbage can. "You were literally beaming a moment ago. I don't think I've ever seen you lost in thought without frowning."

I roll my eyes at the accusation, immediately searching for something to distract them. At that moment, Cara walks into the dining hall, trailed by Caleb.

"Oh look, it's Cara," I point out. She must be coming to say goodbye; she was supposed to be settled back into Erudite a few days ago when we first liberated it, but Tobias thought it would be better for her to wait until we switched out some of the guards in case something went wrong.

"Cara!" Christina calls. "You're leaving?"

Cara sets her bag down in one of the seats. "Although I appreciated your company and am grateful for the shelter," she says, "it is about time I go home."

I stand up to hug her, albeit awkwardly. "Thank you. For everything," I tell her. If it weren't for her volunteering to drive, the Dauntless never would have gotten the gas masks that they desperately needed.

"I'm sure I will see you again soon, Tris."

She hugs everyone else goodbye before practically racing out of the dining hall with excitement. All of us are equally glad and worried to see her leave our protection. But I suppose she will still be under Dauntless supervision over in Erudite.

Caleb takes the seat next to me, across from Zeke and Shauna. "Did you eat?" I ask him.

He nods. "I did."

I bite my lip, trying to think of some more cordial conversation. "How is your leg? I noticed that you aren't limping anymore."

"Better. They removed the stitches today," he tells me, his eyes lit up. Like the ordeal of getting grazed by a bullet was worth it for science. "If I could do it all over again, I would have focused on medicine during my Erudite studies."