Breath of Life

Thomas P.O.V.

I held my breath and looked ahead at the empty streets through the window. John went to go get groceries. He wanted to go get some cereal and some milk and other stuff like that.

I watched a single car fly by. The first car all morning. I sighed and got away from the window knowing I needed to occupy myself with something else.

The room is too quiet.

I was looking for something to do. Anything. My hands didn't quite fit in my pockets as I walked around the dorm. The same dorm I have been seeing every morning for some time.

I tapped the glass on the table top and saw the small reflection of my finger hitting itself. The room is so quiet.

The echoes of the tapping only faded and didn't bounce around.

I walked do the bedroom and scrolled through my phone. I saw a music video and I hadn't seen it. And a music video I hadn't seen is a music video either worth watching or absolute trash.

I clicked play and connected the phone to the Bluetooth speaker on the nightstand.

A piano chord introduced the song.

No your mom don't get it...

And your dad don't get it...

Uncle John don't get it...

The singer's voice was smooth. And powerful even though he had barely begun.

And you can't tell your grandma, 'cuz her heart can't take it and she might not make it.

They say don't dare, don't you even go there, cutting off your long hair, you do as you're told.

The song had a message obviously, but what was it? Cutting long hair? Can't tell relatives?

Til' you wake up, go put on your makeup, this is just a phase you're gonna outgrow.

Was it referring to transgender? Cutting hair and makeup? Most definitely. My heart was pounding in my chest. The anticipation of the climax of the song bubbling inside me.

There's something wrong in the village, in the village. They stare in the village, in the village.

Tears ran down my face. They came out of nowhere. My brain was confuses and my heart hurt somehow. It's like I felt someone else's pain. Who though, who hurts this much?

Alex.

"Hey... Thomas! Are you okay?!" I hear John exclaim from the door frame.

The song still escalating and going on with the orchestra and the vocals.

I looked up at John confused. He held grocery bags and dropped them and ran over to me.

"John.." I said quietly. He parted from me and looked me dead in the eyes.

"Yes?" He said calmly.

"That song is good as hell." I said, laughing a little. He chuckles lightly.

"Duh! It's the Trans Anthem, my dude." He said, laughing and seemingly relieved that I was okay.

"I thought you were actually like legit upset." He began. "But nah you're just listening to Wrabel, it happens to the best of us.

I laughed and wiped the tears.

Him and I got up and I helped get the grocery bags. We put up the cereal and milk and the eggs, which we had to be extremely careful, and grateful he didn't break them when he dropped them.

I smiled. Alex is okay. John is okay. I am okay.

But now that I think about it. Life is alot better. I've been tols im vague about my past, but truth is, I don't really care unless someone asks. I was raised in a rich family. Went to Paris all the time. Had numerous friends, numerous girls after me. Had it all.

Well except accepting parents. And accepting friends. John was there senior year.

He was bullied but, boy oh boy, he got in fights and it didn't end well. Well, for the other person that is. John used to be a scared timid little twig. But now? He started lifting weights in freshman year and he did it excessively and didn't stop. He ran track and played soccer. He was an athlete by all means.

But the coaches denied him any credit because he was openly gay. The teachers resented him. The peers hated him. But me? I knew he was different. Obviously.

I liked him, I won't lie. But I was popular and had friends and everyone loved me. But it had to done.

So one day at lunch I asked to make an announcement on the small stage in the back. And because I'm the best kid in that place I got to whatever I needed. And so I did.

I remember mentioning the fact that I'm gay and if anyone has a problem then that's not my problem, that's literally theirs. And I was proud.

John looked to me and smiled and his table of queer friends jumped up for me. But the rest of the cafeteria was dead silent. My friends were disgusted but I honestly didn't give a flat fuck.

I knew who I was. I wasn't scared anymore.

But then. The parents.

I got him that night and word spread around, and it got to my parents. My dad came after me, but I stood my ground.

"Thomas Jefferson! Who the hell do you think you are?! You're not my fucking son if you wanna spend your god damn days sucking dick!" He screamed at me. My mom hid behind, not wanting to intervene, knowing she'd be hit. And hard.

"I don't give a god damn fuck, Dad. Because guess what? You're just mad because I got more pussy in high school than you've ever fucking gotten in your life! And gueas what else? I rejected them because I happen to wanna be myself! And if you have to pull me down, I'd like to see you top over me first." I said. My voice calm and low. My parents' eyes wider than saucers.

"You disgrace of a son, get out." He said. I shrugged, grabbed my shit and well, got out. I didn't need him. I walked down the road at 11 p.m. at night and looked at the stars above me. I saw a car drive by but it slowly came to a halt.

"Your parents kick you out?" I heard a familar voice say.

I laughed.

"Yeah they did." I replied, looking at the man. It was John. Figures. He motions for me to get in the car and we drive around the road for a while.

We laugh about stuff at school and joke about everything in the world to joke about.

We smile. And laugh. And joke. It was honestly the most fun I've ever had. And it still is to this day. If only I would've known Alexander then. It would've been even better.

I graduated with honors and my teachers were nonetheless proud of me even though I was different. I stood my ground and I was proud.

Proud to be myself.

I had pride and I still do. John did. And he still does. Alex does. And always will.

I closed my eyes and laughed.

"Hey Thomas?" John asked, walking back into the kitchen. "Hm?"

"Remember high school?" He laughed.

I nodded. How ironic. "Yeah.. I was just thinking that."

Bam. Plot. Plot non-filler. Bam. Boom. Splat. Some plot. Wow. I know. Enjoy though. This Will be important later. I wrote this because someone asked for Thomas backstory so there you go! :)

-Have-Strong-Pride 🌈