Love Letters to the Enemy (Draco Malfoy)

There were a lot of people at Hogwarts that weren’t all that great but, to me, Draco bloody Malfoy was the worst of them. I didn’t care that he was a pureblood and I didn’t care if he was a rich kid that could buy my entire family if he wanted to. He was a spoilt brat whose mouth needed to be washed out with soap and he needed to calm down with the mean comments.

At first, I wasn’t sure why I disliked him but after a while it was obvious that my initial hunch that he wasn’t a decent person was correct. The moment I set eyes on him in our first year at Hogwarts, I didn’t like the guy and I wasn’t the only one that had that sort of feeling about him. Even Harry didn’t like him after a few hours of knowing him.

Draco dislikes me as well and I know that. I didn’t blame him either. Any normal pureblood and spoilt child would usually get upset when they weren’t able to get something. That something was me. His parents had approached my own and asked if they would be willing to marry me off to Draco. My parents were delighted but I refused on the spot. It wasn’t that I was spoilt because I wasn’t. I just wouldn’t be able to survive being married to some blonde rich kid that annoyed the hell out of me.

We were both in Slytherin but I preferred to hang out with anyone besides him. I would have long conversations with Harry about his life in Privet Drive. I would have in depth talks about different books and subjects with Hermione. I would chat to Luna about the Quibbler and the different creatures she knows about. I would even talk to Cedric, the Hogwarts heart throb, about what it was like being surrounded by girls all the time and being such an intelligent wizard.

I didn’t mind who I spoke with as long as it wasn’t Draco or one of his minions who would report to him on what I had just told them.

I was strolling through the corridors of the castle like I usually did during my free period when I suddenly saw Draco. I ducked behind a group of Ravenclaw’s and waited for him to pass by before revealing myself and jogging off ahead of the group.

Luna caught my eye as she was ‘yelling’ out some sort of notification. She didn’t usually yell though so it was more like a bit of a loud voice that was easily lost in the crowd.

I stopped next to her and tapped on her shoulder. She turned to me with the usual absent minded expression she usually had, “Oh, hello, Ambra. I didn’t see you walk up here.” She said with a sweet smile.

I chuckled and leaned against the wall behind us, “You never do, Luna.” I said and she nodded slowly. She was such a strange girl but that fact made her all the more fascinating to me. Most other people thought she was weird but I definitely didn’t. I thought she was very smart and quite sane but just had a strange way of showing how brilliant she was. Others simply misunderstood her, “So, what you got there?”

I pointed down to the basket filled with crisp paper envelopes that hadn’t been closed yet. She slowly gazed down at the basket then at me, “These? It’s nothing important but I came up with this thing that I was thinking would be nice for everyone this year. People take an envelope and write a message in it about three of their favourite things. It shouldn’t be too obvious but it must be things they are passionate about.” She started to explain, picking one up, “The envelope, when closed, will siel itself and change your handwriting so it’s completely anonymous. I will then put a little spell on them and give them to a few of the owls and they will be delivered to those that are most suited to the person who gave in the letter. Their soulmate might be halfway across the world or in hogwarts.”

I hummed slightly, impressed by the process, “So it’s anonymous to all students here?”

She nodded, “Yes, no one will know who does and who doesn’t take and receive a letter unless they say so. They will be given to you privately. The spell will make the name of the person you’re meant to be will appear on the envelope so I will be the only one who knows but I don’t plan on telling anyone who they are paired with. The people paired are the only ones that will be able to decide if they do or don’t want to meet. It’s quite useful if you want to find out who you’re destined to fall in love with and live your life with.”