Deadly Magic Tricks (Albus Severus Potter)

The isles were bustling as usual, filled with children with a taste for magic tricks and all things to do with it. Each shelf was packed with tricks and their instructions of use so that it looked like they were really doing magic.

A certain child found all the card tricks interesting and was shuffling through all the themed packs, looking for a good old fashioned deck but wasn’t so lucky. But before she could lose all hope, an older man comes to her and passes her a deck with a smile. The child was overjoyed and thanked the stranger who suddenly knelt down to look up at the youngster, “Do you want me to show you something magical?”

{Normal point of view}

These cases were the ones I hated the most as a Special Victims Unit or SVU agent in London; the ones that included young children. It was bad enough that anyone could forcefully lay their hands on another person but children, that was just barbaric. The young people didn’t even understand what was done or being done to them. It was even worse when the poor children ended up dead after enduring what they did.

I knelt down beside the young girls corpse, examining the body for anything that forensics may have missed. There was a slight bulge in one of his pockets so, putting on a pair of rubber gloves, I reached into it and clicked my tongue at the sight of a playing card. I rose to my feet, unfolding the crumpled card, “Hey, Jenkins, it’s him again!” I announced and partner stopped what he was doing to see what I was talking about.

At the sight of the card, the older man tutted in disgust, “That makes nine doesn’t it?” I nodded, “This guy really is sick and how the hell does he keep getting away with it?” Jenkins demanded to know.

I returned my attention to the card and mumbled to myself, “Because I haven’t been on the case yet.” My partner looked at me with a questioning gaze, not having heard me like I intended. I passed off the card to forensics, telling them to properly check the body again, “Someone call Lieutenant Hadley and tell him that I’m going to be taking the Ace case!”

Someone immediately did as I had instructed and my partner followed me to my car, “Are you sure you want to take this one? It could be a pretty bad hit on your reputation if you don’t catch him.” He informed me even though he knew that I already knew that.

As soon as he closed his door, I pulled from the parking and sped towards the station where we would be able to read up more on the case, “I don’t care what you think, I will either catch him or be the one to find him dead in some ally. I don’t have unsolved cases, Jenkins, and I don’t plan to let this one be the first.”

With a firm nod of agreement, Jenkins let me drive us to the station. We didn’t speak again but that was how it usually was because I was always concentrating on our case and he has a lot of respect for the work I did.

We soon got to the station and it didn’t take long for everyone to realise that I had just taken on another seemingly impossible case because of how I stormed in straight to the officers who were previously in charge of the case. Most officers aren’t so willing to hand their cases over to other people but when it was these type of cases that had been going for months and didn’t look like they would be solved too quickly then they were very happy to hand them off to me and only me

I gave jenkins a few of the files while I studied the images of the children in the images that had already been killed.mI had only seen two of them, not including the one from earlier.

I wasn’t given long to look at the file when my Lieutenant's assistant called me to her bosses office. The poor girl always had to be in the middle of his and my arguments and was always there to watch me win. She must be sick of how stubborn our boss is because I certainly was.