Chapter Nine: Broken

AHSOKA TANO           

Ahsoka woke up. Blinking in the harsh artificial light after the darkness of her closed eyelids, she tried to sit up. But pain blossomed on her lower ribcage, forcing her back down. She then realized that she was wearing an oxygen mask, and was lying down on an examination table. 

Glancing over to her right, she saw her former Master, Anakin, sitting down on a stool, leaning up against the wall and fast asleep. She tried to move again, and a muffled groan escaped her lips. He jumped up, and in an instant was alert and ready.

 She took off the mask. Mustering enough strength to speak, she whispered, “Where you really sleeping?” 

“Nah, I was just resting my eyes. I see that your sense of humor isn’t injured, even if you may be.” He looked at her caringly. Just then, a medical droid walked in.

 “Is there a problem, sir?” 

 “No, but what’s the status with my friend here?” 

She has broken a rib in her lower ribcage, but is otherwise uninjured. With the proper medication and a maximal amount of bed rest, she is expected to make a full recovery.” 

 “Hear that, Snips?” He still, on occasion, called her by her old nickname as proof of how much his former padawan meant to him. “You should be up and moving in a few days.” 

 “What? No! I have to leave immediately!” 

  “Ahsoka-” 

 “Anakin, Lux was captured by a group of those commando droids. I have to go after him.” 

 “But you aren’t well yet. Who knows what will happen to you?”

“I do: I’m going to save him, or I’m going to die trying.” Serious determination glowed like flames reflecting off of her deep blue eyes.

“I’m coming with you.”

“No, Anakin-”

He didn’t give her a chance to finish. “Don’t argue.”

“I have to go alone,” she said, pulling herself to her feet, even though her chest ached, a painful reminder of how much she hated Separatist droids. 

 “Why?”

She walked with some difficulty to the door, and turned to him. “Because I love him.”

And then she left.