Chapter Seven

"She what?!"

The roar rang through the trees, causing some birds to flutter away in a panic.

"She broke through her window and jumped down. Vasso tried to stop her, but she slipped away from him." A nervous Annita explained to her alpha now trembling in a rage after she had sprinted to tell him the news. "Vasso and a group of trackers have already begun to follow her. But we've got no updates yet."

"Damn. That fucking insolent brat!" He growled, his wolf beginning to appear.

"Alpha Basilius... She will be scared and no doubt injured. Please, try to be gentle." Annita said quickly.

He didn't reply with more than a grunt as he shifted into his wolf, letting out a mighty roar before taking off in the direction his little mate had been heading in. His body was filled so much rage, he could barely keep himself from letting out large growls as he ran. His dumb little mate. She just had to stir up trouble.

Anger began to shift into worry as he soon met the group of trackers led by his Beta. It was clear that they still hadn't caught her. And then, it began to rain. Her sent would be washed away. They'd gave to go off the little details from now on.

It wasn't long before they began to follow a trail of footprints and small tufts of white fur caught on bushes and trees.

But they carried on like that for hours, long into the night. By the time the rain finally let up, it was pretty late and it was harder to see the tracks. But still, now, her scent was noticeable again. However, in the tracks, Basilius was able to see her pace was slowing down, limping even. Then it showed that she had shifted back into her human form.

He cursed the small woman for being so dumb as she saw the tracks came to an end. Sitting under a tree, in a muddy, shivering mess. Slowly he approached his mate. She saw him, that was for sure. But she didn't growl. That was when he recognized that she was barely conscious.

He shifted again, sending a small growl to his pack mates. A small warning that they shouldn't look at his mate in her naked state. One wolf stepped forward, with a pack in their mouth, he grabbed it, pulling out a warm looking blanket, moving and wrapping his in it. As he lifted her, a small mewl of pain escaped her. His wolf was antsy at the sight of his mate, making Basilius be as tender as possible with Meleni.

While he was so caught up in caring for his mate, he hadn't recognized the smell of the border on which he sat. But he only grew more stressed as it processed in his head. It was the Red Fang Pack's boarder. She had crossed into it.

But his mind returned to his mate soon after as she let out another pitiful cry as she pressed her face into his chest, tears forming in her eyes. His heart aches a few moments for her. It pained him to see her that way.

"I am sorry," she began to whine over and over. "I am sorry."

With a swift gesture, his pack mates began to move ahead of them. He remained in his human form, going slower than the rest in order to keep her from feeling more pain.

"Hush, Little one" He whispered soothingly before she began to cry again, a soft sobbing. He could tell it was hurting her physically even further.

Instinctively, his wolf began to purr to his mate, knowing it would naturally be calming to her. And it was, she began to slow her crying down until tears just slipped from her eyes, now puffy from crying. He held her closer to his chest, so she could hear the purring better.

She felt so safe in his arms. At the moment, she wasn't even sure as to why she ran from him. His purring made her feel less of the pain, in fact, she could feel the cracked bones slowly mending themselves. It stung, but not as much shame she felt as he looked down at her, whining for his comfort, for his gentle touch. At one point, she began to affectionately lick his chest as his wolf tried to comfort her.