Chapter Sixteen

After their conversation, Basilius informed Emilio they would have to be leaving a bit early due to the fact Meleni was feeling very ill. Of course, the man simply nodded and agreed it would be best to care for his mate. Meleni waited outside, refusing to enter the large packhouse again, so Basilius rushed to pack their things again. He could tell his mate was scared and didn't feel it was a good idea to leave her alone for too long.

Basilius sighed as he stepped out of the house again, finding his mate curled up on the ground in a whimpering ball. He set their suitcases down and quickly pulled her up off the ground into his arms. He could feel her small form trembling against his broad chest. A feeling a rage coursed through him. They hurt his mate, leaving a scar on her perfect mind. He could tell. But he promised they wouldn't talk about it until they were home.

Vasso and his subordinate pulled the car close to the two of them, Vasso menacingly staring at the house. He always had a certain sense of these kinds of things. He was aware as Basilius was that this house was haunted by ghosts of pain and negative emotions. Neither of them wanted to stay much longer.

Basilius opened the door, helping his mate onto the leather seat. Meleni curled up a bit, pulling her feet close to form a ball again. Basilius sighed and pet her head before grabbing their suitcases and following her. With a nod from Basilius, they took off quickly.

His attention was quick to return to his mate. Her eyes were filled with tears. Basilius gently eased her to lay her head on his lap, allowing him to run his hands through her milky hair, soothingly petting her head. She sucked in a breath and closed her eyes.

The ride home was a long one, longer than the ride there. Meleni sat still, a sort of blank expression before her precious features twister into something scared and hurt. Basilius's blood boiled like oil, but he had to keep cool for her. She was already hurting so much. He couldn't add to the pain. All he could do is try to offer her comfort.

Once they finally arrived, Basilius carefully lifted her in his arms and carried her in, treating her as if she was fragile as glass. Meleni blinked, as if coming out of a trance, breathing in deeply. The smell of her mate was intoxicating, making her crave more. Leaning her head against his chest, she breathed in deeply again, allowing herself to be lost in the smell.

Still, things were a blur to her, She barely noticed as she was carried up a flight of stairs and laid on a bed. Basilius gently caressed her cheeks as he watched her eyes shifting around slowly before swallowing up the sight of him.

"Don't move, Meleni. I'm going to get the doctor..." He whispered to her.

Meleni shook her head without hesitation and gripped his cheeks to hold him close. Her fingers then trailed over his skin before wrapping around his neck, pulling him close to her again. She whined a moment before looking into his eyes and pressing her lips against his. Her kiss started out gentle before it quickly morphed into something a little more intense.A

"Basilius... Please. I need you to feel better." She whispered, her hand exploring his body, from his chest to his lower stomach.

Basilius pushed off with a small growl and shook his head at her. She looked hurt and confused, like a small puppy. She whimpered a bit. He sighed and held her cheeks in his hand

"A-am I not good enough for you too?..." She let out a small squeak of a whisper.

"No. No, Meleni. You're much more than I deserve... I just can't do that. Not right now. I can't take advantage of you. I am going to get the doctor. You're not okay..." He whispered as gently as he could as her eyes welled up with tears.

A sob echoed in the air, squeezing his heart as he felt his mate crumbling in his hands. It was painful. He wanted to run back to the wolves that hurt her and shred them. Not yet, he told himself. She needed him here and now. He would rid the world of them when she was doing better.

He poked his head out in the hall, sending one of his pack members to fetch the doctor. It wasn't long before she was there to diagnose poor Meleni. It was non-medical shock, meaning she'd be okay once she felt more comforted and the reason for fear was removed. She just needed to relax and rest. However, the doctor was also sure there was some sort of trauma as well that triggered the response. She felt that it was better to allow the small female to return to her normal state before conducting more tests on it.

Basilius was relieved that she would be okay. However, the feeling of rage did not waver. It only festered as each minute passed by. He felt like his blood vessels were about to burst at any second. However, his heart nearly stopped when he heard his mate whining. In an instant, he scooped her up and rocked her comfortingly. She leaned into him, a purr slipping from her. 

"Basilius. Please." She mumbled, gripping at his shirt with a soft mewl.

"Meleni... Don't do this..." He held her tightly and set his head into the crook of her neck, kissing the still red mark on her neck.

"I need you, Basilius. I need to feel good." She whispered and closed her eyes.

"No. I told you. It's not right. You're not in the right mind." Basilius grabbed her hands and pulled them off his clothes. Meleni growled and snapped at him, gripping him again before laying her head on him again. Her mate sighed and slowly shook his head, petting her gently. He would just have to resist his mate for now. 

"Meleni... Tell me what happened..." He held her close.

She stayed still, silence claiming her. Then she drew in a breath of air, her bottom lip trembling. "Okay... T-That was my original pack. Alpha Emilio was my mother's mate. Not by the mate bond... H-He took my mother by force. He marked her so she couldn't run away..."

Her eyes welled up with tears, but she continued on. "My mother had two pups with him. Katina and Alexio... Then. She found her real mate. I don't know his name. I don't think I ever will. But he is my real father. Not long after, I was born. Emilio didn't know that I wasn't his for years. Unfortunately, my mother was caught with her true mate. And h-he was k-killed." her voice trembled.

"My mother... She was spared due to the fact that she bore him heirs. And I was spsred because the pack needed an omega... They used me as a way to relieve anger and stress. Or just for fun. Emilio encouraged his own children to torture me." She let out a sob and pressed her face into his chest. "I r-ran away. I had to get away."

"I know, Meleni... I know. He won't ever hurt you again. I am going to kill him." His voice shifted into a growl. She knew his wolf was fighting to take over.

"N-No! you can't!"  She cried and clutched his face. "It will mean war... I don't want war."

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR READING FERAL! AND THANK YOU FOR 1.6K♡
HAPPY (LATE) HOLIDAYS. I HOPE YOU ALL HAD A GOOD CHRISTMAS (IF YOU CELEBRATE).

I HOPE YOU'RE ENJOYING THE BOOK SO FAR. AND FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINN OF MELENI'S BACKSTORY :0
AND WHILE I'M HERE I'M GONNA SHAMELESSLY PROMOTE MY OTHER BOOK, INAMORATA. PLEASE CHECK IT OUT ♡ UNLIKE THIS, WHICH A STANDALONE, IT WILL HAVE MORE BOOKS TAKING PLACE IN ITS WORLD.