Chapter Thirteen: Things Always Get In The Way

The next few days consisted of quiet kisses and sneaky hugs. I wasn’t ready to come out to the entire world about our relationship (it was more about my sexuality than our relationship) and Marcel completely understood.  The rest of the trip was beautiful and became a romantic journey, as cheesy as that sounds.

            When we returned to London, a week went by until we told our families. Both mums were completely supportive. Robin ruffled Marcel’s hair and told him he was proud Marcel opened up to someone and told him that if he made me pregnant he would thrash Marcel against a wall. The boy blushed and Gemma laughed till she coughed.

            The real trouble began a week after, when Marcel began to grow restless. Liam had warned me that this would happen eventually; it was human nature, and I would have to do something about it. Marcel became agitated that he couldn’t peck his boyfriend on the lips after school or that he couldn’t hold his hand while we walked up to school. He began to feel jealous when girls hit on me and he couldn’t come hold my hand or wrap his hands around my waist to prove that I’m his. Admittedly, I felt the same. With Marcel’s new look in always too-skinny jeans and low scooping shirt and sweaters, occasionally a head-band too, girls always hit on him. They always asked questions that had him spitting out scientific facts or mathematical equations while they curled their hair around their fingers and laughed. For the most part, Marcel was completely oblivious to it, and I wanted to go over there, pin him against a wall, and snog his face so no one would ever hit on him again.

            Niall would sometimes tell me to go ever there and ‘redeem myself.’ I would just shake my head and walk away.

            It came to a point where Marcel was always cranky and agitated and I couldn’t even blame him. Nick Grimshaw was no help either. No one gave a fuck about him so he could go about doing anything he bloody wanted without anyone noticing.

            It all happened when I decided to apologize to Marcel about, well, me. And maybe discuss when I would come out. It was getting old, carrying on with the old charade of straight, popular guy. Taking a deep breath, I went into the library, in the fiction section exactly where Marcel would be on a Friday after school if not with me. “Marcel I—” I said but froze in my tracks. Nick Grimshaw had his hands on Marcel’s hips, Marcel’s arms in the air as if surprised. I couldn’t tell if Marcel was even struggling or even trying to push him away before I said his name. They broke apart and Marcel’s eyes widened. Nick smirked and winked at me. I felt my eyes tear up and Marcel grab my arm. I jerked it back and turned to him.

“Oh, are you okay?” Nick asked, feigning concern. “Are you upset that Marcel and I? Oh, I’m sorry, he’s available isn’t he? It’s not like you’ve told anyone that he’s not,” he added with a smirk. And that was the knife in the stomach. “No Louis, I swear I tried to push him away I—”

I held up a hand and let a tear fall. “It is what it is.”