Part 5

Hours passed as Andi and Ashton sat, studying every once in a while, but mainly just talking. They talked about music, sports, television shows, everything from their favorite colors to their greatest fears. It was the first time that Andi ever opened up to somebody so honestly, and it was the first time she'd actually laughed in years. He told some stupid joke about a monkey in a minefield, and she lost it. They had been talking about family, and Andi was going to that dark place...the one she could never really pull herself out of. Ashton noticed, which prompted the joke.

To hear her laugh was a surprise for both of them, but for Ashton it was the most beautiful surprise in the world. The way her smile took up her whole face, and her head tossed back, hair falling off of her shoulders. Watching that happen was the best surprise he could've asked for--better than any material thing.

They were in the middle of a long line of one-liners, laughter barreling through the room, when Ashton's mom, Anne, walked through the door.

"Ashton, what are you-" she stopped short when she saw Andi sat cross legged atop Ashton's bed, "-oh, um hello. You must be one of Ashton's friends. I'm Anne," she said holding her small hand out to the nervous girl.

"Hello, Ms. Irwin. I'm Andi." She shook the woman's hand with a shy smirk when she noticed her sleeve slid up to her elbow, the whole room turning their attention to Andi's purpling scars.

"It's nice to meet you, Andi," she said after a pregnant pause. Ashton, may I speak to you in the kitchen please?"

With that they both exited the room, leaving a paling Andi to fall back on to Ashton's bed, tug her sleeves over her hands, and listen.

Ashton followed his mom out of the room, a smile on his face, when his mom suddenly stopped and turned to face her son. "Ashton Fletcher Irwin! How could you do this?! You have a girl in your room when I'm not home?! What were you thinking?!"

"Mom, we were just hanging out! She didn't really want to go home, and I wasn't about to make her. I was trying to help."

"Ashton did you SEE her arm?! That girl belongs in an asylum! Not my home and certainly not in your life!"

As their voices raised, Andi could begin to hear the conversation being had just down the hall.

"Mom, she's a psycho cutter! Is that what you're saying?! She's depressed! She doesn't have anybody in her life!" He took a second to lower his voice and catch his breath before he continued, "I'm her friend, mom. I'm her friend because she needs one. And because I like her. And I'm not about to leave her alone."

Andi didn't hear all of what Ashton had said, just the parts about being psycho, about being depressed, and about having nobody. She immediately grabbed her stuff, threw it in her backpack and stood up, taking a few breaths, tears pooling in her eyes. Just as Anne was about to respond to Ashton's comment, Andi went down the hall to the door, the pair falling silent as she approached.

"I have to go home. Thank you for letting me come over, Ashton. It was nice to meet you, Ms. Irwin." She walked out of their home with tears falling down her cheeks. After the door shut, she began walking down the street, hearing the door open once again behind her. She collapsed to her knees on the side of the road, letting her tears fall, when she heard Ashton approach her.

"Andi! Hey, are you alright? What happened?"

"Why do you care?! I'm just a lonely psycho cutter anyway! Let me be alone like I'm supposed to be."

"Andi...what are you-" just then he realized that she heard his conversation with his mom.

Before he could speak again, Andi stood. "I don't need your pitiful friendship. I was fine before, I'll be fine now. Goodbye, ass hole."

With that she walked away, a tear now falling down Ashton's face as he stood and watched. He slowly turned and walked back into his house and down the hall to his room, not once looking at his gaping mother as he did so. He slammed his door, sat on his bed and just stared.

"But Andi...I like you..."