Part 9

They stood in the street, staring at each other, when Andi took off toward her house, tears falling, Ashton trailing close behind.

"Andi! What's wrong? Come on! Talk to me!" He said, stopping her at the front door of her house.

She stopped at the door, turned to face the red faced boy, and slid to the ground, resting her head on the door. Ashton sat down in front of her, grabbing the small girl's hand as she quietly cried.

"Andi, what happened just now? What's wrong?"

"She thinks I'm worthless. She says I don't deserve to be happy, and that any love I think I get is a lie. She says I should die...that I should've died months ago. That she shouldn't have saved me. She's going to ruin this for us. She'll be horrible now. Because now she's seen me smile. She knows I have something to lose now. Ashton, I can't lose you."

With her words, Ashton wrapped her in his arms, letting her cry into his shoulder. "I'm not going anywhere, love. I'm yours. I promise."

After a few moments, they stood from her porch and began walking to Ashton's house. Andi didn't want to be home at the moment, and Ashton didn't want to leave her alone. They walked down the street in step with each other, Ashton's arm wrapped protectively around Andi's waist. Ashton's mom was there to greet them when they arrived.

"Hi guys. How was school?"

"It was okay. School is school I guess. Music was particularly fun today," Ashton responded, nudging Andi as he remembered their duet.

"Andi, how are you doing today?"

"I'm okay, thanks. Thank you for letting me hang out here, Mrs. Irwin."

"You know you can call me Anne. And you're more than welcome here whenever you like," she responded with a small smile. "well, I'll leave you two love birds to it! Ashton, you know the rules!"

With a small chuckle, they parted ways, Anne was out the door for work, and Ashton lead Andi down the hall to his familiar room. When they reached his room, Ashton gently shut his door and the pair tossed their things on the floor. Suddenly, Andi felt a tug on her arm as Ashton pulled her into his chest. They stood their wrapped up into each other for a few moments before Ashton pulled back. With a small smile, he brought his hand up to Andi's cheek and rubbed his thumb over the faint tear stains still adorning her cheeks. She nuzzled her face into his lightly calloused palm before he lifted her chin and gently placed a kiss to her lips. She responded by pulling herself closer to him, her hands fisting the sides of the shirt he was wearing. He slowly slid his hand to the back of her neck, leaving no space between the pair. They remained there for what felt like hours before pulling apart.

Ashton rested his forehead against Andi's before whispering "I'm really glad you're here. And I'm glad you're alive. And I'm glad I found you. I really like you, Andi. I really do."

"I really like you too, Ashton. You didn't just find me. You saved me." She smiled and placed a light kiss to his also smiling lips before he tensed up.

"I have a very serious question to ask you, Andi. Well, I guess it's more like a favor. It's really important." He paused, looking for her approval. She nodded her head, and he said, "I want to meet your mom.