Part 7

"I like you."

Those three words played over again in Andi's head as she sat staring at the hazel eyed boy. She didn't say anything. Instead, she reached up and wrapped her arms around Ashton's neck, pulling herself to her tip toes, and she kissed him. This time with a more intense desire, and a hunger to stay connected to him. They stood there together in the street for what felt like hours before pulling apart. When they finally separated, Andi lowered her gaze to Ashton's chest, a blush coming to her cheeks before she could say, "I like you too."

With that, they walked hand in hand to Ashton's house, to work on their music project, and because they weren't ready to say goodbye just yet.

The next morning, Andi woke up wearing Ashton's sweater, curled into her bed, her brain swimming in memories of the previous night. She had remembered seeing Anne again, only this time being greeted with a hug. She remembered Ashton taking her small hand in his when they walked through his house to his room. She remembered Ashton giving her his sweater when she got cold. She remembered their walk home, hand in hand as they approached her front door. Most importantly, she could still feel his kiss on her lips as they said goodnight, the gleam in his eye, the smirk on her mouth. She remembered it all, and it made her smile, which made what happened next even harder to handle.

Her mom stormed into her room, yelling, "And where the hell do you think you were last night?! School gets out at 3:00, Andi! And you come strolling through the door at lord only knows when?! Where the hell did you go?"

"Mom, I was at a friends house. We were working on a project for music," she responded, shrinking into her already small stature.

"Friend?! That's cute. You don't have any friends, Andi. Nobody likes you, remember? And where did you get that hideous sweatshirt? From some boy?"

"Actually, ye--" she was cut off.

"God damnit! First you try knock yourself off, now what? You're going to get knocked up?! Maybe I shouldn't have saved your pathetic ass. I'd rather have a dead step daughter than a pregnant little slut. The next time you go off to fuck around, stay there. And don't bring his nasty garments into my house."

She stormed out of Andi's room, leaving Andi speechless, hurt, and crying. She shouldn't have gone to Ashton's last night, she should've come home sooner. This was her fault. She did this to herself. At least that's how she felt. That's when she stood from her bed, rolled up the sleeves to Ashton's shirt, and reached for a razor blade. She knew she had to be punished for her behavior. Her step mother found it to be a disgrace, so she needed a reminder to never do it again. And with that, she cut. She cut until she didn't feel hurt by her moms words anymore. She cut until the only pain she felt was that which she put upon herself. Because that's all she ever did, was hurt others, and then get punished for it.

About 45 minutes later, Ashton met Andi on the corner of their street hoping to walk together. He reached out for a hug, but got nothing in response. She pulled away when he reached out for her hand. There was something wrong, he just couldn't tell what it was. "Hey, is everything okay? You seem...distant all of the sudden."

"No, I'm not okay." Her walking sped up. He could feel her closing herself off again.

"Andi, hold on. What's wrong? What happened?"

"I should've gone home yesterday. I shouldn't have stayed with you for so long. I'm so stupid sometimes. Always getting myself in trouble."

"Wait, what's going on? What happened? You seemed so happy yesterday...what's going on?"

She didn't say anything, instead she just tugged her sleeves over her hands and pulled her arms around her stomach, much like she did when they first met. Only this time, Ashton reached out to her. He grabbed her hands, pulling them toward him before gently pushing up her sleeves, watching Andi tense as her breath hitched.

Immediately he hugged her, and kissed the top of her head, and let her cry as he cried with her, because all he could see was cuts. Bright red, jagged cuts that were just made.

She had cut again.