XIV

~ I didn't realize how short this chapter was. Regardless, thank you for continuing to read & comment. I'm still getting so much satisfaction out of writing this. I mean, I never wanna let Josh go! ~

---

I felt entirely inadequate when I saw Josh's outfit--deep burgundy velvet pants, a loose white cotton shirt under a berry-colored blazer to sort of match the pants, and deep blue moccasins--or, at the very least, not quite the standout he always was. I spotted an additional gold bracelet around his wrist as he held the car door open for me, a lopsided turquoise stone set in the center of it.

"Darling, you look amazing," he said as I climbed in the passenger seat of his car.

"Please," I said, rolling my eyes. "If I had known, I would've tried to match. Or at least coordinate. I look so boring."

Josh swatted my arm. "You have your style, I have mine. I think you look great. Probably more appropriate for where we're going anyway."

"Which is where?"

Josh put the car in drive. "Still a surprise."

He really enjoyed doting on me but he wasn't rolling in money--nor was I--so I was actually really pleased when he parked us in front of the same pizza place we'd been going to the entire time we'd been dating, a classic and simple nook that always felt comfortable. Josh was a big fan of fashion flair and being with him always felt like more than enough of a luxury. I looked down at myself then at him and laughed.

"I do want to take you out," Josh said, taking my hand. "But, you know, I haven't made the big time yet, darling."

"I love this," I said. "It's perfect."

It was even more amazing when we walked inside and Josh took me to a booth in the back covered with a black tablecloth, set with candles, a bottle of wine and a vase of white crocuses. I stifled giddy laughter, feeling myself blush.

"I did this right before I picked you up," he told me. "It only took a little convincing for them to let me do it."

"You've seriously outdone yourself," I said, sliding into the booth. "This is like straight out of a rom-com."

"I realize we never did anything quite as cliche as this when we first started dating," he replied, pouring both of us wine. "Although stargazing is still my favorite thing to do with you."

I held up my glass of wine. "Me too. Cheers, Josh."

He clinked his glass against mine. "Cheers, darling."

It felt like it had been such a long time, though it really had only been a blip, since Josh and I got completely lost in our conversation with one another and I realized, again, how much I had missed being with him. I loved watching his hands move as he talked, only banging against the table twice, and seeing him laugh. I still found it overwhelming how intently he looked as me as I spoke, how his eyes were locked on me, and the habit of him tugging on his bottom lip, a sign that he wanted to interrupt me, but politely, was not going to.

"You know the latest film I've been working on?" Josh asked as he poured out more wine.

"Set in Minnesota? In the dead of winter? I remember."

"I'm actually finally done with it. Jake told me about this festival in Detroit--a film festival--and I'm gonna enter it."

I paused as I swallowed the wine. "Oh my god, Josh--that's amazing."

He smiled proudly. "I'm excited. And you have to see it in its entirety now, quite a bit has changed since your last viewing."

"I may not be into movies, but I do really love your films," I told him. "You have a really unique eye for the environment of everything; plus the music you choose--truly an artist. I'm really proud of you. You worked really hard on this."