XV

Alana was discharged from the hospital a few days later, which was ironically Zendaya's last day in Florida. She didn't want to leave, but she had to for work and so her mother wouldn't be suspicious of anything.

Dinah asked Zendaya to not tell anyone except Darnell about Alana. She didn't want her daughter in the spotlight, and she also didn't want to make Claire think she broke their deal.

Zendaya, Alana, and Dinah laid in Zendaya's hotel room bed. They wanted to savor the moment with each other. Alana still has yet to find out that her Daddy was leaving already.

Zendaya tapped Dinah's shoulder, getting the woman's attention. Dinah turned giving her attention to her baby daddy. Shouldn't we tell her, Zendaya mouthed.

Dinah shrugged in response. They'd gone back and forth about it since the day at the hospital. Time was running out and Alana needed to know.

Zendaya cleared her throat deciding to tell her. "Um Lana?"

"Yes Daddy?" Zendaya looked down into her daughter's doleful brown eyes.

"I um...I have to...I have to leave today," Zendaya finally said.

"What do you means? Are we moving?" Alana asked. The poor child was so innocent it felt wrong to lie to such an impressionable child.

Zendaya looked up at Dinah for help, and she just turned away. "N-No baby. It's just gonna be me. I don't live in Florida, and I have to travel a lot for work," Zendaya said holding her daughter close.

"What does travel mean Mommy?"

"It means to go somewhere, and Daddy has to travel a lot so she can get money and do stuff with you," Dinah added on.

"Do I get to go with you Daddy?" Zendaya sadly shook her head. "But I don't wants you to leave. You has to stay with us."

Alana's lips began to quiver, and tears rolled down her cheeks. "I-I don't want you...t-to leave," Alana sobbed wrapping her arms around Zendaya's neck. The actress rubbed the little girl's back in a comforting manner.

"I know baby. But I'll be back okay? I'll come visit you and Mommy all the time. And when I can't you can call me whenever you need to. I'll always answer okay?" Alana nodded trying to catch her breath after crying. It wasn't working and she began to panic.

"Mo-Mo-Mom-my!" Dinah quickly fished her daughter's new inhaler that she required. She gave Alana one or two pumps before she finally calmed down.

Yes Alana now has asthma. Apparently, the boys who beat her up stepped on her chest causing her ribs to collapse in on her lungs. They were able to heal, but her lungs were still injured. The doctor said one day she might grow out of it as of now she needs the inhaler.

"You're alright baby. It'll all be okay. I'll be back before you know it," Zendaya said still hugging her daughter.

Zendaya felt bad for leaving but it had to happen.

...

Zendaya got out of her mother's car, walking into her mansion. Noon and her mother's dog greeted her excitedly at the door. "Hi my babies. I missed you," Zendaya said rubbing their fur. "You got bigger didn't you Tiger?"

The dog barked as if it was a response. Zendaya giggled and stood. She walked into her living room, flopping down on her couch tossing her carry-on on the floor.

"Thanks for all the help Z. I really appreciate it," Darnell said sarcastically walking in with most of her suitcases.

"I'm sorry D. I just needed to make this phone call really quick," Zendaya said dialing Dinah's number. She watched Claire walk through the front door, and made the swift decision to put in her headphones.

"Who are you on the phone with Z?" She asked. Zendaya put her finger up telling her to hold on.

"Hello?"

"Hey, is she up?" Zendaya asked making sure her mother wasn't listening.

"Yeah, one second." The redhead heard the sound of the phone being transferred. "Daddy?!"

"Hi Lans," Zendaya said with an instant smile on her face. "How are you?"

Claire peeked over at her daughter. She was talking in hushed tones, and had the widest grin on her face. But why? She was so upset when she left. Did she meet someone on the road?

Zendaya hung up and walked into the kitchen with her mother. "What's up Momma?" Zendaya asked.

"Nothing, what's up with you? You're in a good mood," Claire asked.

"Why wouldn't she be? She-" Zendaya shot Darnell a quick look telling him to stop.

"She what Darnell?" Claire asked. He hated lying, but he figured it was for a good reason.

"She saw so many great places. I'd be happy too," Darnell lied smoothly. Zendaya let out the breath she didn't know she was holding.

Claire wasn't stupid. She knew he was lying, but she wouldn't say anything just yet.

...

"Maybe I could get a place out there for when I come to visit," Zendaya said to Dinah over the phone.

"You don't have to do that. You can stay with us if you want to," Dinah suggested.

"I guess you're right. No point in wasting extra money. The next time I can come down there is in November, but that's also thanksgiving so my mom would notice."

"It's okay if you can't come. We don't exactly do much special for thanksgiving anyway."

"How come? Don't you see your mom and dad?"

"My dad's kind of iffy around us, and my mom spends it with her husband so I don't always know what's going on for the holidays on her side. We usually go out to a diner or something."

"Maybe you guys can come here. If you want to."

"It's kind of risky. You can't come down anytime before that?" Zendaya looked at her calendar on the phone. She had a week off after the release of Spider-Man and Euphoria.

"Yeah it's only for a week though. You think she'll be okay with that?"

"I think she just wants to see you Daya. She was so excited to tell Lady that she found you," Dinah giggled.

"Who's Lady?" Zendaya asked.

"Our cocker spaniel. I got her for Lana's third birthday. She's her best friend," Dinah replied. She yawned.

"You sound tired. You should go to bed," Zendaya said.

"But I wanna talk to you." Zendaya laughed.

"You sound just like Lana. I'll text you in the morning to let you know when I'm coming alright?"

"Okay. I love you." Zendaya could practically hear the pout on the brunette's lips. "You're taking too long to say it back."

"I love you too DJ. Was that fast enough?"

"Yes. Night Z," Dinah said.

"Night princess." Zendaya hung up with yet another smile on her face. She loved her little family so much. One day she hoped to bring them back with her, and have Alana meet everybody. But only when she and her mother were ready.

"I love my babies."