XVI

Dinah brushed back Alana's hair back into a messy bun before pecking her cheek with a loving kiss. "Alright bug. It's time for bed," Dinah said putting her hair stuff away.

"But daddy hasn't called yet," Alana pouted. Dinah's face saddened at the little girl. She was still getting used to it being more than just the two of them. And with them being in two different time zones, not to mention Zendaya's busy schedule, it was hard keeping track of it all.

"You can stay up for ten more minutes, but if she doesn't call you have to go to bed okay?"

"But I haven't talked to her all day. I miss her." Alana's eyes glossed over and her bottom lip quivered. The blonde pulled Alana into her lap, wrapping her arms around the girl in a gentle embrace.

"I know baby. And she misses you too. You gotta remember though, she's gonna come back even if you don't talk to her for one day okay?"

"Okay mommy," Alana sniffles and rubbed her tiny fists against her eyes. Dinah lifted Alana in her arms and carried her into her bedroom.

"You can sleep with me tonight." Alana smiled small, nuzzling into her mother's neck. Dinah shot Zendaya a quick text letting her know Alana was falling asleep. The redhead didn't reply, yet she'd read it.

She figured the older woman was doing something so she gave her a minute. Looking down she'd seen Alana fighting sleep. It was almost nine and the girl tended to be asleep by eight no later than eight thirty.

Poor baby. She's worn out.

The mother ran her fingers through the curly locks of hair lulling Alana into a further sleep. She jumped waking Alana when her phone began to ring.

Zendaya.

"Hello?" Dinah answered.

"Hey, is she still up or did I miss her?" Zendaya asked. Dinah shook Alana lightly. Alana looked up at her mom with drowsy eyes.

"Daddy's on the phone baby. Say goodnight so you can go to sleep," Dinah said. Alana took the phone putting it up to her ear.

"Hi daddy," Alana said.

"Hi Lans. How was your day little one?" Dinah could still hear Zendaya's voice and practically saw the smile on her face.

"It was good. The boys not pickin on me no more." Alana was particularly happy about that. She hadn't made any friends yet, but she played on the swings instead of hiding inside with the teacher. For her it was a good day.

"That's great baby! Did you have fun at school?"

"Yeah, I played on the swings and the slide and I tried the monkey bars, but they were too high and the teacher said it was time to come in," Alana said in what seemed like one breath.

"That sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you get to try the monkey bars tomorrow. They're a lot of fun," Zendaya couldn't stop smiling on the other side of the phone. If only she could see her little girl's face.

"You played on the monkey bars?"

"Yeah, they were my favorite when I was younger." Dinah snorted at a remark she'd come up with in her head. She'd keep it to herself for the time being though. Alana was reminded of her mother's presence.

"Daddy, you wanna talk to Mommy?"

"I don't know if-"

"Here you go Mommy. Talk to Daddy while I go get Lady," Alana said sliding off the bed and handing her mother the phone.

"She has such a short attention span, it worries me sometimes," Dinah said making Zendaya chuckle.

"She's only little. No harm, no foul. How've you been though?" Zendaya asked.