20-The Demon King

Wei Ying was surprised when they rode straight through the crossroads at Guchen village. He and Wen Qing had set out at sunrise on fresh horses that Lan Xichen had arranged for them. 

His parting from Lan Wangji had been stilted; he could feel his lover's sadness and his own.

"Wen Ling had wanted to come to you at Lotus Pier," she said, waiting for his horse to come alongside. "When we learned you were not there, but still at Gusu, we turned back and stopped at an inn near Yi City."

***

They chased the light to arrive at the inn just as the sun sank behind the Western mountains. Wei Wuxian felt a chill, not just from the approaching night, but also from the strangely deserted streets.

"Where is everyone?" he asked.

Wen Qing looked at him with sad eyes as she tied both their horses. "During the day, Wen Ling is virtually comatose, but at night, I am not always able to diminish his... hunger. The people here are frightened."

Wei Ying looked at the darkening sky. "Come on," he said. "Let's go in."

The inn, too, was virtually deserted. Three Wen clan soldiers occupied a table in the front room, while one nervous manager attended them and nodded a greeting to Wen Qing.

"Why does he let you stay?" Wei Ying asked, following her up the stairs.

"We are paying him a fortune."

Wei Ying raised his brows but said nothing else as Wen Qing led him to the third floor. He got the distinct impression they were the only guests.

At the end of the hall, she opened a door to a set of two rooms. The outer sitting room was empty, but a lamp was lit in the interior room, illuminating a sleeping Wen Ling.

His pallor was remarkable, even from the doorway. "He... how long?" Wei Ying asked.

Wen Qing shook her head. "Every day, his heartbeat and breathing weaken, but he has no ordinary disease. All I can say is... not long."

She urged him forward with a nod. "I must speak with the men downstairs. Please go in. I do not believe he intends you harm."

She left, closing the door behind her, and Wei Wuxian walked toward the bed. For a long time, he stood looking down at his once-friend. Immobile as a corpse, with a core that had grown smaller since Wei Ying had seen him just a few days ago. It was now almost completely black. 

With time to study it, Wei Ying decided it almost seemed as if was being polluted - polluted and consumed. He reached out a hand to push Wen Ling's black robe off his chest but found his wrist caught in an iron grip.

"Not yet, Wei Ying." It was Wen Ling's voice, but Wei Ying wasn't sure who it was that looked at him out of Wen Ling's red eyes.

"You asked for me," he said, dropping his hand to his side when Wen Ling released him. 

"And you came." His eyes lost their maniacal look as they faded to the clear blue Wei Ying remembered.

"Tell me what happened to you," he said, pulling a nearby stool closer to Wen Ling's bedside. "I want to help."

Wen Ling looked him up and down and gave a rueful smile. "I see Second Child Lan has sent me a message."

It took Wei Ying a moment, but then he remembered he was wearing his new Gusulan clan robes. 

He returned Wen Ling's smile. "He wasn't happy you sent for me."

Wen Ling closed his eyes. "I had no choice. Certain things... are now beyond my control."