Bonus Chapter: Forget Me Not - Part 1 (of 3)

"Lan Zhan!"

Lan Wangji heard Wei Ying yelling for him from their courtyard. He also heard his lover's quick footsteps and then the door to their room sliding open.

He sighed and opened his eyes. Meditating with Wei Ying around was a skill he had not yet fully mastered. "Is everything alright?"

He could see that it was. Wei Ying was grinning from ear to ear.

"Lan Zhan," he said, closing the door swiftly behind him. "I got it." He held up a cloth bag and shook it gently, approaching with wild eyes.

Lan Wangji turned away, feeling the heat rise to his cheeks.

Wei Ying laughed, of course. They had been married for over two months, and Lan Wangji had loved every minute of it, but that didn't mean he was quite used to Wei Ying's... openness.

He heard the sound of bottles hitting wood - six bottles, to be exact. This brought his head around. "Wei Ying."

"What?" he said, stepping in front of the four jars of Emperor's Smile and two smaller jars. "They were having a sale."

He stepped on the end of a floorboard near the wall, and the other end popped up to reveal his hiding place. He put some of the jars inside.

One of the smaller ones, he slipped into their bedside table. "I can't believe you wouldn't come with me because of this."

Lan Wangji gritted his teeth. He loved the effects of the lubricant the old fortune-teller had given them before their wedding - especially loved its effect on Wei Ying, but to go ask for it? He wasn't ready.

"I think I should refuse you until you locate your courage," Wei Ying teased.

"Hmph." Lan Wangji snorted. "My courage is not nearly so well-hidden as your restraint. I'd worry about you denying me if I thought you could deny yourself."

"Oh, Lan Zhan." Wei Ying put his hand over his heart. "Harsh words for the one you love?"

"The one I love happens to be shameless," he said, getting to his feet, "undisciplined, loud, unrestrained, and generally a pain in-"

"Lan Zhan!"

Lan Wangji stared into Wei Ying's eyes, now only inches from his own. "But I do love him," he said, allowing the smile he'd been fighting to surface.

Wei Ying relaxed and walked into his arms. "It's a good thing we're going to Yunmeng tomorrow," he said, interlacing his fingers at the back of Lan Zhan's neck. "You've gotten so lovey-dovey, I almost miss your stoic, icy bastard face."

"My what?" Lan Zhan demanded.

Wei Ying giggled and looked at the floor. "I...uh... might have called you that a few times when we first met. Only to myself," he added hastily.

"Careful what you wish for, Wei Ying," Lan Zhan said, voice low, as he ducked out of his partner's embrace. "Unlike you, I can restrain myself."

Wei Ying gaped at him. "You wouldn't."

Lan Zhan opened the door. "I'll be in the library," he said. "Don't wait up."

"Lan Zhan!"

"I mean it. We have an early start tomorrow, and you don't want to be late for your sister's engagement announcement."

He let his long legs carry him quickly away from the temptation that was Wei Ying.

Lovey-dovey, indeed.

***

Wei Ying looked at Lan Zhan's stiff frame as he closed the door to their room. Then he looked at the door, waiting for it to open. When it didn't, he sank down onto the edge of the bed.