18-Bound Together

"So if you're asking what I really want, it's that - for someone worthy to love me best, ahead of everyone else."

Lan Zhan tightened his arms around Wei Ying and pulled him close. Wei Ying rested in his embrace for a moment, but then pulled back.

"Your turn."

>>>>>>>

Lan Wangji stepped back. "My brother thinks I can't feel things," he said. "But it's more that I choose not to. When our mother died..." 

He stopped and took a deep breath. "After that. The benefits of having feelings didn't seem to outweigh the cost." 

"I get that," Wei Ying offered.

Lan Zhan studied him. "Maybe you do," he said, nodding. Wei Ying's life was noisy and filled with feelings, but sorrow was definitely among them.

"So why research core-binding?" Wei Ying asked him. 

"I'm not sure," Lan Zhan said, shrugging. "It seemed safe. Like a guarantee."

"But then you'd feel things all the time," Wei Ying pointed out. "And not just your own feelings."

Lan Zhan gave a self-deprecating smirk. "I didn't say it made sense."

"Do you feel anything for me, Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying's eyes were soft, his lips partly open. 

Like I want to feast on you. 

He nodded, burying that thought deep. "Too much."

Wei Ying bit his lip. "Too much because you feel things but don't like it?"

"Too much because... I like it too much. I like you. But, you said it yourself - lots of people like you."

"I'll tell you a secret, Lan Zhan." He stopped and thought for a moment. "Make that three secrets. First, I like you, too. Second, you are not just anyone to me. And third... we match. Our cores, I mean. I told you I can see them. Well, yours and mine... are exactly the same."

"What are you saying?" Lan Zhan felt like a fist had closed around his windpipe; he could barely get the words out.

Wei Ying shrugged. "Just that. Every other cultivator that I've ever seen has a golden core of energy inside them. Some of them are bright, some are dull, some lighter, some darker, some big, some small. They tend to reflect the person and how much power they have. Spiritual power."

He waved his hand back and forth between them. "You and I are different. Our cores are pure, white light. And when I look at yours, I can't tell it from my own."

"So we could..." Lan Zhan summoned all his courage. "Core-bind?"

Wei Ying pursed his lips. "I can't say that for sure, Lan Zhan."

"But you think it."

Wei Ying nodded.

Almost a full minute ticked by as Lan Wangji let this news sink in. "Do you want to?" he finally asked, not daring to breathe as he waited for Wei Ying's answer.

"I've been reading about this in your ancestors' magic books," he said, "but I'm still not sure how it works or what the consequences will be. I think its not something we should say unless... you're sure that's what you want?"

Lan Zhan felt like he was standing on the edge of a cliff. Did he want to jump off with Wei Wuxian?

"I'm sure," he said, meeting Wei Ying's gaze. "Are you?"

Wei Ying closed the distance between them and encircled him in his arms once more. "I'm not sure it's the right thing," he said, "but I'm sure I want it."