7-The Fortune-Teller

"Tomorrow, however, we are going to Nanching village. My uncle wants us to consult the fortune-teller there to pick the most auspicious date for the ceremony."

>>>>>>>>>

Wei Wuxian couldn't contain his excitement at the prospect of getting out of Cloud Recesses, even just to visit the neighboring village. He walked backward, told jokes, and entertained Lan Zhan and the other disciples with tales of his younger days at Lotus Pier.

Two other disciples had decided to accompany them - Sizhui and Jinling.  Sizhui seemed generally good-natured, smiling often during Wei Ying's tales of mischief. Jinling sometimes laughed, sometimes rolled his eyes. Wei Ying sensed that he disproved of either him or his engagement to Lan Wangji, or both.

It's not like I had any choice in the matter

"And that's why you should never hide a hen inside your robe," he said, finishing his story. 

Sizhui laughed. "Young Master Wei, Lotus Pier seems much more... relaxed than Cloud Recesses. You won't take Lan Wangji from us and return there, will you?"

He sighed. "That's not how it works, Sizhui. I'm part of Lan Clan now. Or I will be after the ceremony is performed."

"We're lucky to have you," Sizhui said without hesitation. 

Jinling snorted. "We could have hired a clown much more cheaply than we bought him."

Wei Ying scoffed. "What's wrong, Jinling? Did you have your eye on Lan Zhan?"

Sizhui laughed out loud at this, and Jinling's cheeks flamed. Uh, oh, Wei Ying thought. Guess I hit a nerve.

An ox cart rumbled past, and Lan Wangji looked back at them. "Wei Ying and I have something to see to privately. You two, go first to the village elders and report that we are here. Ask if they need anything. We'll meet you at the inn when we are finished our task."

Wei Ying was happy enough to part company with Jinling. He waved goodbye to Sizhui.

***

The fortune-teller kept a room on the second floor above the store selling herbs and remedies. Wei Ying followed Lan Zhan up and coughed as a cloud of incense encircled them at the top of the stairs.

Lan Wangji didn't seem affected. He entered and bowed to the bent old woman seated at the table in front of them. 

The table looked to be older than she was, but the intricate carvings on it shimmered slightly, and Wei Ying felt a whiff of magical power. He followed Wangji's example and bowed his respect. Then he sat beside Wangji on the cushions the old woman indicated. 

"I didn't expect you quite so soon," she said. 

"You've heard?" Lan Wangji asked. 

The old woman cackled. "Heard nothing but! The whole village talks of nothing but the young Lan master who's marrying the young master of the Jiang clan." She cackled again and looked Wei Ying over appraisingly. "Fine catch, if you ask me."

Wei Ying smiled hesitantly at her and glanced at Lan Zhan, whose mouth had softened into a one-sided smile. He wasn't sure if the old lady was friend or foe, but Lan Zhan seemed to trust her.

"We've come to ask about the date," Lan Zhan explained, slipping a silver coin onto the table. "It has to be within a month, so we'd appreciate your guidance."

"Yes, yes, yes," she said, pocketing the money. "I know all about that." She extended two bits of paper and an ink bottle and brush. "Write your dates and times of birth," she instructed. 

As they did this, she began to pull star and numerology charts from a shelf behind her stool. She reviewed them, muttering under her breath. When they returned their answers, she studied them, then bent her head back to the charts, and finally to a calendar of days. Her dirty, wrinkled finger landed on one of them.

"Here," she said. "The new moon for a new beginning."

"That's only ten days from now," Wei Ying noted.

"Did you ask me for a convenient date? Or did you ask me for the most auspicious date? You don't get a refund just because you don't like the answer."

He glanced over at Lan Zhan, who seemed frozen, staring at the spot where the old lady's finger rested.

"Will you tell our fortunes?" Wei Ying asked her. "You might have guessed we're both a little nervous about this arrangement. Can you see if it will work out?"

The woman stared at both of them. "I can tell you something."

Lan Zhan put another silver coin on the table, and the old woman cackled again and sprang to her feet. She took Lan Zhan's piece of paper and set fire to it with a nearby candle. When it was reduced to ash, she came around, sprinkled it over his head, and then lay her hand on his forehead.

She breathed in through her nose, then out through her mouth three times. Then she did the same to Wei Wuxian. Finally, she came back to her seat, where she took each of their hands and examined them in turn.

To Lan Zhan, she finally said, "You have made a bold choice, but it goes against your nature. This choice will serve you well, so long as you don't shy away from bold choices in the future."

She turned to Wei Ying. "You are too unrestrained. You see too much and say the wrong things. But all will be well so long as you remember to say the things that matter."

They rose without looking at each other and bowed to the old woman.

"Wait!" she called out, quickly scribbling something down. "Give this to the herbalist downstairs," she said. "My gift. For the wedding night."

Wei Ying took the paper and virtually shoved Lan Zhan down the stairs to get away from the old woman's cackling laugh and knowing stare. Wedding night?!

***

They made their way down the bustling street without acknowledging anything that had happened back there. Wei Ying carried the wrapped parcel from the herbalist away from his body, with one finger through the knotted cloth. He hadn't dared to look inside.

After a while, he relaxed and let his arm drop. It wasn't a bomb, after all. 

They turned left and passed through an open market, with vendors hawking their wares, many of which flowed out of carts and boxes onto the street.

"Emperor's Smile!" one man called out. "Best wine in all the empire!"

Wei Ying sighed but kept his eyes straight ahead. 

"Shall we get some?" Lan Wangji asked. 

Wei Ying couldn't hide his surprise. "What about the rules?" he asked. "I thought it wasn't allowed."

"It is not against the rules to purchase alcohol. Nor to drink it off the premises."

Wei Ying gave Lan Zhan his biggest, best grin. "Those may be the nicest words you've ever said to me, Lan Zhan." He walked over. "How many do you think? Four?"

Lan Zhan frowned. "Two. Drunkenness is always prohibited."

Wei Ying winked at him. "Whatever you say, Lan Zhan."

>>>>>>>

A/N:  If you're liking this story, don't forget to vote! And I do read and love all your comments:)