Chapter 10

Jumping into the water, you immediately regret your decision.

It's freezing, and your head hits the bottom of the lake in no time. Despite the amount of sheer terror you were experiencing, you jerk your head around to look for Max.

You were already running out of breath.

You flail your arms around, making a desperate attempt to get to him. By now, he's passed out, and it looks like there's not much time before it all ends.

You grab his waist and look upwards, devoid of any emotion. By now, you're beginning to black out. 

Move.

Push.

Just..swim!

You push upwards, barely any strength left in your body. You manage to breach the surface of the water before throwing Max onto the sand, along with yourself. You cough, noticing how much of your life you just risked. The last thing you see is a worried Nikki standing over you before everything went black..

1 hour later

You're standing in a dark void once again.

This time, you already realise where you are.

You're dreaming again.

You turn your head around, waiting to see Max yet again. 

And, low and behold, there he is.

He seemed a lot calmer now. He stood in front of you, smiling. That's odd. He was..smiling. He says something again - you can't make it out. However, you hear one word.

"I."

You didn't understand it, but in the end, you sigh, eager for the dream to end.

And then it does.

"Y/n!"

The loud voice of Nikki forces you to open your eyes.

Immediately, you shield your eyes with your arm, as the blinding light of the sun makes its way into your vision.

Adjusting to the sunlight, you notice a crowd standing over you. Nikki, Neil..and..someone else, all stood over you. It didn't really matter who the last person was - you were more focused on what happened and where you were.

"Y/n! Are you alright?" Nikki says, somewhat shaking you.

You take a moment to sit up, but once you do, you notice you're in a bed - more importantly, your  bed. 

"W-where am I? What..happened?" You say, pinching your nose. You attempt to jog your memory, but you can't remember anything past the part where you dived into the water.

"You jumped into the damn water and saved my life, god dammit." Someone pushes their way through Nikki and Neil, and after a moment of curiosity you recognise the short-ish figure.

Max.

He's looking at you with an annoyed glare, but, despite all of the hatred, you could tell he was clearly worried.

"Yeah - and you passed out after you got Max to the surface." Neil added, raising his hand.

You look over at Max once again, expecting to see his annoyed glare. However, instead of the continuous scowl he normally has, he's looking at you with a distraught and worried face.