Chapter 7

I splashed some water on my face, trying to  ease the redness from the many tears I shed and make them much less visible. I closed the faucet and dried my face with a towel, as I looked myself in the mirror.

I shivered at my reflection, tired of nightmares. Also, the yesterday's events have invaded my thoughts, causing a painful headache to engulf me. I stumbled on my feet, as Shawn's words echoed in my brain, making me shut my eyes forcefully.

He knows where you live.

I sustained myself on the sink before me, my breathing process unbalancing. I looked at the mirror, my eyes narrowed.

Because I've been watching your house for a week now.

I rubbed my face, tired from these haunting thoughts and countless questions. Although, Shawn's exclaim was what bothered me the most. He had been watching me for a week and I noticed nothing! Why would he do that?

If what Shawn said was true, it would be too risky to stay here any longer, that was why I called Vincent and told him everything. So at the moment, I was getting ready to move out.

I finished packing my things, before going downstairs, my arms struggling while carrying them. Myra was in the kitchen silently preparing food, but as soon as she heard a 'thud' on the floor, she looked my way. When she noticed the suitcases, she freaked out, rushing to my side with wide eyes.

"Grace, where are you going!?" I could tell she was worried, but I also knew she was worried for one particular thing.

If my presence at her house earned her money, if I left, what would she gain? But from hearing the little secret converstation with her husband, I guessed she didn't care anymore about my money. Someone had offered her more in order to take me, right? Maybe I misunderstood her, but I couldn't take the risk and stay any longer here. From what Shawn said and what she and Mark discussed, I needed to leave.

"College. It has dorms for students to live in, so I will no longer burden you with my presence."

She gulped, then opened her mouth trying to form a sentence but closed it soon, not finding the right words.

"Vincent will still be sending money." I said looking away, "Everything is paid for as long as I have stayed here. The rent, and everything else." I paused then added, "But now that I will be gone, I will pay the rent of two more months as a thank you for letting me stay such a long time."

I think she seemed surprised by the way she cocked her eyebrow, as if I had offended her.

"You dare talk to me like that?" I rose an eyebrow. "Isn't it enough that I kept you in this house for as long as you needed!? Who the hell do you think you are!?" She paused, "You think just because Vincent or whatever his name is, sends us money, makes you worthy? He hands us the money, not you! You could never own that amount of money, not even in your dreams!" She rolled her eyes, letting a scowl leave her lips.

Did I offend her? Where?

I chuckled. "Ironic." I pointed out. "What if-" I stepped closer, walking in circles around her, "-I told you that the amount of money he gives you every month, is mine?"

She shook her head, laughing at my face. "That's imppos-"

"Everything is possible." I gave her a hard look.

She stuttered, not knowing what to say. "Y-you are just a li-itle poor-"

She ate her words away as soon as I held my hand up to stop her. She gasped and I smiled.

"May we meet again, Myra."

I opened the old, wooden, wide door and exited without looking back. I got in the cab that was waiting for me outside, and called Vincent. The driver didn't ask me for directions, since Vincent told me he had discussed everything with him. After a few beeps, Vincent picked up.