Chapter 10

"I told you not to tie her!" I heard a voice echo through the air, as my consciousness returned slowly.

A pain errupted from the back of my head, my eyes not being able to open and see in what condition I was in. A boisterous growl left my lips as I shifted over, only to realize I could not move. I opened my eyes wide, panic quickly crawling up my spine, as I took short gulps of air. I wandered my eyes around, white chapped walls filling up my vision, and a creamy old door before me.

But what I didn't spot directly, were the two large men on each side of the door, standing tall and ready to fight every single person on earth. I gulped. As soon as they noticed my attempt to move from the tight ropes around my legs and hands, one of them opened the door and shouted.

"She's awake!"

My heart raced when I heard footsteps, and I prepared myself for the worst. I froze in place, as I saw the door opening. With my heart on my throat, I set my eyes on the man who got inside. The tension of my spine quite eased, when my eyes landed on Vincent. In another situation, I would have been the happiest person alive to see him and would ask him for help--something I didn't do often, but now...I could do nothing but wait.

Wait and not jump into cruel conclusions. Because I knew my brother too well. I knew, that he would never do this to me without a strong reason. Never.

But still, the doubt eating me up alive could not be prevented.

I glanced at Vincent. He walked normally, gesturing to the gurards he came with--to leave us alone, but of course they didn't make such a mistake. He stopped in front of me, leaving a good distance between us before sighing at the guards' presence.

His eyes landed on me, and I said nothing. He looked over his shoulder and turned back to me. I said nothing, again. He opened his mouth, but closed it again, as if he couldn't voice his thoughts. I still said nothing. He let out a loud sigh and rubbed his eyes, realizing I was not going to utter a word. But he knew. He knew that my eyes said enough.

"I'm sorry," he started, glancing down at me. "But I had to do it."

I said nothing again, leaving him and his consciousness battle to figure my thoughts out. I looked over at the guards, their glaring eyes on us.

If Vincent was working with them, why would they guard him?

"It was the best choice to give you to him."

"What?" I cut him off, his sad eyes widening from my voice. "What did you just say?"

My hiss made him realize how angry I really was, and how I was waiting for him to give me a sign, anything. But till now, he gave me nothing! And I refused to accept it.

Vincent had it in his nature to always remain calm in every situation possible. Sad or happy. But not in this one. He seemed stressed.

The rage in me, woke by his next words. "I did it for you."

I froze. "For me!?" What? "You did this for me?" I hissed. "Get the hell out, Vincent."

It didn't feel right. Something just didn't fit right! The way Vincent handled the situation, troubled me. I didn't want to believe he truly betrayed me, I wanted to think there was a good explanation and in a matter of seconds, he would laugh it off and shout he was joking.

It just couldn't be it. He had always helped me, why would he stab me behind my back? Why would he do that?

"I didn't have a choice!"

My eyes snapped at him faster than a milisecond. "What are you saying!?"

Was he trying to anger me on purpose?