Chapter 12

Caliginous atmosphere of the night.

That was what I witnessed in front of my eyes the moment Casper turned me around. I inhaled deeply, as I stared before me in despair. The misty dark sky spotted by dull stars, their brightness extinguished and vanished, seeming as if they had lost all light they ever carried.

My gaze stood upwards in silence. I was stuck in place near the door, all alone. Casper seemed to have walked further away from me--also staring away, as if I could poison him with my presence and he needed to keep a safe distance. I gulped down the formed lump in my throat, my drunk state vanishing completely.

There was your momentous happiness, Scarlett. Drifted away and lost into the brisk heavy wind, a labirinth to cross for it to reach you again. Quite impossible it looked. But in this world we live in, nothing is.

For me though, it was. Happiness was not something fate had saved for me to taste. Six years old I was, when I last felt it. Now, I do not even remember what it means. I remember how he shattered my dreams one by one, the moment he stepped into the house. Threw me the glance I grew to fear, and locked me up in his dark world--a never ending torture.

I shook off from my tremendous state and looked over at Casper. Minutes ago, I was acting childish and cursing like a stupid teenager--something I really wasn't.

And Casper didn't stay behind. Although he was as sober as a baby, he gave the party a show to talk about for a month. Throwing me upon his shoulders while I was wearing a dress, was something he did on purpose.

To anger me. To suffocate me. To make my nerves go ballistic.

But I would not make him that favor and let him see my true self. I would not.

"Grace?" I heard him call me.

I snapped my head towards his direction, noticing he was standing near the edge of the terrace. My heart sunk, suddenly feeling anxious.

Block your emotions.

I looked at his eyes. "What do you want?"

His eyes narrowed. "Answers."

His voice could be barely heard through the strong wind if you didn't listen carefully. But I did, and my breath hitched.

"I don't understand what answers you want, Casper."

"You know better than anyone." He hissed, making his way closer to me. I perked my head towards him, noticing how he moved his long legs towards me, as I battled with myself not to move back with every step of his forward.

"I don't know and I don't care. Why are we up here?"

Casper was now right in front of me--his face a few inches away from mine, indicating his strong intimidative aura. I stood my ground, not daring to flinch.

He raised an eyebrow, uncertained why I didn't step back this time. Then--as if on purpose, he trailed his tongue down his bottom juicy lip, my eyes lingering there for a second before I looked up a his cold eyes that could freeze up a mountain.

My breath hitched by his intense gaze, but I made no move to look away. I clenched my jaw, as he gave me a smug look.

Do not let him think you are weak, Scarlett.

"I see." He stated all so bluntly, his eyes searching mine, none of us moving first.

"You see what?" I dared to ask.

He leaned closer, I almost widened my eyes.

"Your unwillingness to cooperate." He hissed, his intense ocean eyes killing me softly.