Chapter 18

“Casper, tell me who Vincent is!” I persisted, my brain almost bursting out from my skull.

Why did every atrocious thing happen to me? What did I do to deserve that? What if he was the Vincent I knew?

My heart skipped a beat at the thought.

I saw him blink several times before setting his attention on me once again. His eyes bored into mine--storming coldness that would have made me shudder if it wasn’t for the confusion and sadness conquering me whole.

“Why do you want to know?” he uttered softly.

“Answer me!” I whimpered, breathing heavily--but all he did, was stare blankly.

His calm and inconsiderate attitude triggered my enmity, making me think of thousands of possible scenarios of them knowing each other. The thought itself was suffocating me--as if two strong arms were wrapped around my throat choking me.

“I.do.not.know.” He hissed monotonously, his face empty of emotions.

The plainest sentence it was; a sentence with no harm at all. But, was it unharmful if it turned out that the person calling, was my Vincent after all? I hoped not. Perhaps, there couldn’t exist only one Vincent in this town, right?

Right?

The phone lying beside me hasn’t stopped ringing, and none of us has dared to make the slightest move--yet, our eyes remained locked on each other as if nothing has occurred. As if he did not shout me to leave some minutes ago. Did he forget that fast?

“I asked you a question, Casper. Answer it quick, so we won’t have to see one another any longer,” I clenched my jaw, my face neutral.

He mimicked my face, licking his bottom lip while raising his eyebrow. “I am not obliged to respond, but since we both cannot stand each other’s presence, I will.” I waited for his response, the ringtone of the phone filling up the deadly silence until it too—fell into it.

I stared at him, “I’m waiting. How do you know him?”

He huffed while balling his fists--probably irked by my insensitive stance, before finally deciding to finish this miserable state and let us return to our previous lives.

“I don’t know what triggered you by this name, but what I do know Scarlett, is that this phone is certainly not mine. It belongs to my cousin,” he stated huskily, his way of words not letting you question but rather believe them without a blink. “Perhaps,” he started, his eyebrows furrowed as he pinched the tip of his nose. “Would it bother you if I knew this Vincent guy?”

I stiffened at his words as I scanned his reaction to finding any possible clue that he was lying--but till now, I had found none. Maybe he was telling the truth, maybe he--

I jumped an inch by the sudden abrupt lack of the ringing noise--causing me to catch my breath and focus on the demon before me again.

I clenched my jaw perplexed by his words. “Tell me why he is calling you!”

“Calling my cousin,” he corrected me, his eyes greener than ever. “I don’t think a 16-year-old teenager would be calling me. My cousin? Yes.” Seeing I was still not fully convinced, he took out of his pocket a black object—his phone, and showed it to me. “Not convinced yet? I would have felt sorry if I cared.”

At that, every worry seemed to vanish immediately from my system as I mentally slapped myself at how ridiculous I looked. You see!? Not everything has to do with you! But then again, why would his cousin leave his phone here? Didn’t he say that nobody knew it even existed? But they are blood-related and maybe close! Get out of here Scarlett! You are acting foolish!