Chapter Sixteen

{split}

"We need to gather more winter gear." Jungkook announced, standing firmly in front of his squad as they gathered in the living room. 

Yoongi and Jimin were huddled against the corner of the lounge, a thin blanket draped over the two of them as they leant against one another for warmth. On the other end of the couch was Taehyung, one hand leaning against the armrest whilst the other clutched his bandaged bullet wound which was still yet to heal. 

On the floor sat Jin, Namjoon, Tessa and Hoseok, all four of them leaning slightly forwards as they tried to soak up the warmth of the fire place behind Jungkook. The fire emitted a warm, orange glow against their skin, flames crackling as they sent out sparks from the logs they slowly engulfed. 

Jungkook continued to speak, "It's only getting colder as the week goes on." he spoke with concern, a hand rubbing absentmindedly against the back of his neck, "At this rate, we'll all freeze to death."

Rubbing his hands against his arms, Jimin nod his head in agreement, "I agree. It's getting bloody cold." he sniffled, earning a low chuckle from the male huddled up beside him. 

Tessa frowned, "You do realise that it's pretty dangerous outside, right?" she explained, gesturing out the living room window at the white expanse of deep snow, "If you're not careful the car might get bogged."

Transferring his gaze out the window, Jin let out a breath of warm air. Tessa was right, even though just the other day the both of them had wrapped rope around the wheels for treading, it was still a dangerous task. Not only that, but they also risked exposing themselves to both the infected and Alpha alike. "I know it's dangerous for us to even think about going out at a time like this, but if it has to be done, lets figure out who's going and who's staying." he spoke up, voice stern as he sent his point across to the squad. He rose a hand, "I'll go to locate more medical supplies if needed."

With a short breath of hesitation Hoseok lent back, resting his body against the bottom of the lounge, "I'll go as navigator of course." he smiled, ready to step back into his shoes as the squad's lead navigator. He hadn't faced a real driving challenge since the dangerous events of the city, so he couldn't help but let a tingle of excitement accompany his worry. 

Tessa rose a delicate hand, "I'm needed incase anything goes wrong with the car." she explained, earning voices of agreement from the rest of the squad. "We don't wanna risk breaking down in this weather."

Namjoon scratched the back of his neck, "I actually need more crafting supplies, so I'll head out too." he spoke, realising that if Alpha were to find them, he best be off having a weapon of his own. 

Jungkook placed his hands firmly against his hips, "That should be it. I don't want too many people leaving the cottage." he spoke, transferring his gaze towards the blue haired male on the couch, "Yoongi and I will stay for safety purposes here with Taehyung and Jimin." he explained, "Sound good?"

Rolling his eyes, Yoongi gave a lazy salute, "Yes sir."

------

With Hoseok taking the wheel, the car moved over the ice covered road, lights on full beam as he drove the vehicle carefully through the hazy town. Grey clouds had quickly moved in once they'd left the cottage, and although it was still early morning, the snuffed out sun made it appear like late afternoon. 

Resting her head against the frosted window, Tessa watched as the scenery passed her by, snow covered objects thrown about the streets as a grim reminder of the struggle of day zero. She couldn't comprehend what the rest of the squad must've gone trough. After all, she wasn't from their town, unlike them she'd had a clear warning to evacuate.