Chapter 1: The Ground

95 years ago, our ancestors had a nuclear war that devastated Earth. There were three groups that survived it. The mountain men, are a group that lives in a bunker on the ground, and can't withstand the radiation outside of it. The grounders are people who can withstand the radiation and survived the attack on the ground. The people of the Ark are the people who escaped to space and have been surviving there ever since.

My name, is Kenzie Griffin and I'm the only one that knows the truth about Earth on the ark. My abilities make me unique. I have special abilities that have kept me alive all of this time. I have ice powers, teleportation, poison nails (at times) and I can heal any part of my body, physically or mentally. Technically I shouldn't have been born due to the Ark's laws, but somehow my mom and dad hid a pregnancy, and raised me, partially, inside the Ark's walls. If Jaha or Kane knew about my existence, then my mom would certainly be floated. Floated means that she would be killed by getting sucked into space. If you're over the age of 18 then every crime, no matter how small, is a capital offence and punishable by death. That's how my dad died. Kane also decided to include my sister in his charges and she's been in solitude for a year. Kane is the one I really have to be weary about.

When I was born, my parents knew that I couldn't be seen. My mom was on the council and my dad was the head engineer. My dad hollowed out a single wall. At the time he didn't know that the wall was hollowed through out the entire Ark. No one actually did. But because I could move freely through out the ark, I knew everything about everything. The walls literally had eyes and ears. No one could see me, but I could see and hear them. The vents and such were very helpful for that. Actually the wall is how I met some of my best friends, and my complicated guy friend.

 I met another girl, who wasn't supposed to be born, cause she was a second child, in the walls as well. Her name was Blake Jordan. She led me to Jasper and Monty, and soon enough the three of us were the three musketeers. I would hang out in Jasper's room more than at my own corridor. But I also met Bellamy Blake through the walls. He has a sister, that he has to protect at all times. It's sort of his moral code. His sister, Octavia,  was raised in the floor boards until he made a mistake. He took her to a masked party. A solar flare happened and she got sent to lock up and his mother got floated.

Octavia wasn't the only one to get sent to lock up. Jasper and Monty were taking drugs and Jasper forgot to replace what they took, so they both got busted. I love those two, but a lot of the time they're idiots. Bellamy, like any normal person, was devastated after his sister got taken away. I was devastated after my dad got floated and my sister got locked up. This all happened about a year ago, mind you. About three months ago, Bell and I hooked up, which is why him and I are complicated. The thing that makes it even more complicated is that I got pregnant from that night. Pretty soon, I'm going to have to tell him, but I just don't know how.

I mean, I spend half of my life on the ground. I don't just spend it up on the ark. I've met some people on the ground, and I know to stay the fuck away from Mount Weather. On my time on the ground, I've learned how to speak a different language. I've also learned that my blood is black due to a genetic mutation and that I'm a 'princess' of Ice Nation, due to the fact that I have actual ice powers.

I also met this amazing girl on the ground. Her name is Anya, and we like each other. Only problem is, is Bellamy. Yes, okay, I'm bisexual. Anya knows about the baby, but I can't seem to tell Bell, which makes no damn sense. I guess I'm just really scared.

Anyways, today is the first day I've been back to the Ark in weeks. "Kenzie, you here?" My mom asks.

I peer out of the wall and stare at her. "Yeah."

"Good, cause I need you to do something. Since you've been to Earth and know it better than anyone else, I need you to keep an eye on your sister. The prisoners are being sent to the ground and I need you on that drop ship." My mom says shaking.