chapter 2

A week later...

02:00 Barcelona, Spain 41.3851° N, 2.1734° E

He wasn't going to make it.

Baekhyun ran through the cobblestone streets at full speed, desperately look for a way out. He could hear the cars behind him, the engines roaring. It was like the hunting howl of a wolf pack, with Baekhyun as the pitiful prey.

The dim light of the street lights was practically useless to him. The night was so dark, the lights barely made much of a difference. His breath misted in front of him as he gasped for more air. The cold air was like a knife, searing through his chest as his heart beat frantically. The bag on his back was weighing him down, but Baekhyun couldn't ditch it. It was the whole reason he was in this mess to begin with. Baekhyun turned a corner and bolted down the steps.

Faster, I have to get faster. I need to get in range.

A loud popping sound filled the air. To the untrained ear, it sounded like firecrackers. To a trained ear and mind like Baekhyun's it was the sound of gunshots. They were shooting at him now.

I am so screwed.

"--khyun!" A voice crackled through the comm unit in his ear.

Close.

Baekhyun turned another corner, running down towards what he hoped was a street. The shots were getting closer. The last thing he wanted was a bullet. If he got into the street he could mingle in with the night crowd, it would be easy to lose his attackers.

Baekhyun sprinted, forcing himself forward, and straight into a tall black iron gate. He frantically slammed his hands against the gate, hands fumbling to find a way to open it. It was no use, the street was in his sights, but out of reach. This time, Baekhyun was sure he was going to die.

"Fuck." Baekhyun hissed.

"Baekhyun!" Xiumin's voice was suddenly clear.

"Xiumin, I'm trapped." Baekhyun turned his head, hearing the cars approaching.

"I'm sending Kai."

"He'll be too late." Baekhyun countered. "I'm in the old part of the city. In the middle of it, I don't think he'll be able to make it here."

"We know, Chen has you on GPS right now." Xiumin replied. "Hold tight, Kai will be there in 5 minutes."

"I need him here now."

The sudden roar of a car engine caught Baekhyun's attention. He quickly flattened himself against the stonewall of an old house in the shadows.

"Can you hold them off for a bit?" Xiumin asked.

"Maybe. I think there's more than two cars. There has to be at least four. They're shooting at me too."

"Four?! Baekhyun you need to get the hell out of there."

"Only if I have permission to do whatever it takes to get the hell out of here."

Baekhyun could picture Xiumin rubbing his temples as he thought Baekhyun proposition over.

"Make sure the laptop remains intact. No civilian casualties and do not attract attention. We don't need the public all over this."

Baekhyun grinned. He let his hands reach for the two Glock 21s strapped to his thighs.

"Of course Xiumin. You can count on me."

Baekhyun was pretty sure he heard Xiumin scoff in the comm unit, but he had already turned to face the cars that were beginning to surround him.