chapter 27

02:30 Seoul, South Korea 37.5665° N, 126.9780° E

It was like a bomb had gone off in the briefing room, and the aftermath was the dead silence. Baekhyun could see D.O's white-knuckle grip on his chair. Chen shot him a worried look that he couldn't even return.

Kai. Kai, why did you say that? Why would you do this?

"Yes, I know what you did." Kai glared at D.O, who only looked back stonily.

"You have the nerve to call me out when your own teammate has died because of you. At least Sehun is alive."

"Kai, stop," Xiumin ordered.

"No." D.O's voice was flat. "Let him continue. I want to hear what he has to say."

"You want to hear what I have to say? You've been running around criticizing us for our work when you're no better! You act like you're the shit, but you're the worst one here. You've got blood on your hands. You killed her for no reason."

"Kai, that's enough." Chen snapped. "You had no right to bring that up."

"You should be the last one talking in a situation like this, Chen," Xiumin spoke coolly.

Chen flinched, casting his eyes downward.

"Everyone, enough," Lay sighed. "We have a mission, and that is our priority."

"Tell that to D.O." Kai snapped. "I got what we needed."

"You ditched Sehun."

"And you killed an agent. Who do you think is worse? I think Baekhyun knows." Kai's eyes landed on Baekhyun.

Baekhyun's gaze was glassy. All he could hear was static.

"Kai, enough!" Chen yelled. "You've gone too far."

"Oh, so I'm going too far? What about him?"

"It's none of our business. What happened, it's in the past."

"Why can't you all just shut up?"

All eyes turned to Baekhyun. Chen swallowed, one hand reaching out to Baekhyun. The moment Chen's fingers grazed Baekhyun's skin, Baekhyun jerked away violently.

"Baekhyun."

"Kai, what made you think you had the right to bring that up?" Baekhyun's voice was barely above a whisper.

"Are you trying to make me relive that day? Is that what you want?"

Baekhyun's bottom lip quivered as he pulled his fingers into a tight fist.

"You're my teammate, but I'm not letting this go."

"Baekhyun---"

"Kai, don't interrupt me."

Kai blinked, before looking down.

"We have a mission, no matter how we feel about each other right now, we need to get that diamond. That is the priority, not tearing each other up for mistakes."

"We can't make mistakes in missions. They can cost a life," D.O argued.

"You know that well, don't you." Kai sneered.

"Kai. Drop. It. Right. Now." Baekhyun snapped. "I'm fucking injured, Suho's in the infirmary, Sehun is missing and all you can do bring that shit up again?!"

"Why didn't you go after D.O?"

"Kai---" Chen started.

"Sit this one out." Xiumin cut Chen off sharply.