The Past Haunts You

"Ah!" 12-year-old Andy squealed as she was grabbed by strong hands that lifted her off her feet. Then she was back on the ground in a matter of seconds.

"I found you," the deep voice of her father said.

"No fair!" she looked up at the tall man with almost black curly hair contained with bits of grey strands, his light-brown eyes patronizing her. "You heard me."

"Don't worry kiddo," he rubbed her mess of brown curls that was frizzy enough. "You'll pick up on your hearing soon. You've got the speed, just need to hear where your enemy is."

They began to head back to their two story white house. It was a hot late evening in central Florida, but the small wood of her backyard made a good place to train with her father. And being raised by two people who enforced her to work on all of her capabilities, she'd grown to love the rigorous courses her parents threw at her.

"Dad, why do I have to work on my knife throwing and archery?" Andy asked the man. "Isn't that for those hunter kids or those..." fear lit her blue eyes. Fear of the scary stories supernatural children heard from their parents about rogue hunters. Those were their bogeyman.

"Rogue hunters won't ever hurt you, dear," he cooed. "They are far away. Your mom and I will protect you. As for the other stuff, well, why not? Why not be better in everything that our special academies teach, rather than only what you're suppose to be better at?"

"So, you'll think I'll be stronger than a lot more of those students at Forest Academy if I train the way mom wants me to?" The run on question of her voice asked excitedly.

"No," he said firmly. "Stronger than all of them."

The father and daughter stepped into their modern home. Instantly smelling the smell of chicken and mash potatoes and veggies.

"The Mackenzies' will be here soon," Francesca said as she exited the kitchen to greet her husband and eldest daughter.

"Look," Andy's small voice said as she went up to a candle on a cabinet to her right. She concentrated, hand held out, and then a small flame blazed.

"Very good," her dad cheered. Then looked at Francesca and asked, "How are you, darling?" The husband met his wife's lips.

Andy smiled warmly at the love her parents shared.

Then...she heard droplets. They were close. She moved her eyes to rest back on her parents. Blood was dripping from in between them. Then she stared in horror as her mother flipped her father around to reveal a stab wound in his heart.

"How do you feel, Adam?" Francesca whispered into her partner's ear. Then she held the wolfsbane covered knife to his knife and cut a perfect clean slit.

Small, little Andy let out a choked shriek and then ran. Ran as fast as her short legs could take her. She was a good runner.

She found herself upstairs, in her room. As she entered her room she was no longer a scared 12-year-old. She was 17, but still terrified.

"Antonella," she heard her mother's voice as the woman made her way tauntingly up the stairs. "Oh, so naive. I killed your father. I'm going to kill all of the ones you love. As long as it lets me kill you."

Andy did the first thing that came to her minds. She ran to her window and jumped. She failed to to get in position to land on her feet. She was facing the sky as she fell back. It felt longer than two stories. It seemed to go on forever. She fell and fell and-