Whispers and Lies

...

11:24 a.m.

...

No one POV

There are only three things in life that truly matter: love, trust, and betrayal. Mariah left to find the suspect, she traveled around the school to find who seemed outlandish. Tapping students that appeared strange didn't end well for her.

"I'm sorry for disturbing you," Mariah promptly walks past crowds in the hallways. 

Eyes that are bewildered, lost, and just penetrated glaring at her urgently asking for any news about Ayano Pearson. Mr. Ansel on the other hand, stared hard at Mariah with caution. Later it was already the last period of the day. Aubree and Dale were in the same class chattering amongst each other with curiosity.

"Everyone is acting like the 'rumor' is nothing but it's not," Aubree stated, crossing one leg on the other. "Besides, Ayano is a really nice girl. I don't get why people ignore this! It's so messed up."

She sighs wearily writing homework on her agenda before forgetting to write it. Dale pats Aubree's right shoulder with a small smile. They continued their discussion about it before class, throughout the class, and after class. Given the possibility Ayano could be roaming someplace in the building, Mariah can't seem to wrap her finger around it.

"Ayano! Where are you? Ayano Pearson!" Mariah called, running everywhere without a break.

 Aubree found her in the hall and caught up with Mariah, "I know you don't need help but I can't let you get hurt, please?" Mariah ponders for a minute before choosing. 

"No! I can't let you near me! If I'm with you and Dale...I'll hurt you guys..."

 "That's not true, Mariah! It's not your fault that Rowina disappeared!"

Mariah ran off in a blink of an eye. Squatted down dejected, Aubree then stood up to find Dale. While looking for Dale, she bumped into no other than Isiah Bissette! Startled, Aubree walked past hurriedly as he grabbed her wrist.

"Wait!" Isiah spoke. "I'm sorry about my brother Noah. I hope you don't hate him for his personality. We can get to know each other as friends if you want. See you tomorrow, Aubree!"

Letting go with a grin, he steps away before she can say anything. Doubtful, Aubree continues to look for Dale before getting Mariah. He stood looking fresh as ever, waving at her. "Hey, Aubree. What's up?"

 Aubree waves, "I have bad news. Mariah..." She paused before revealing the secret Mariah told her. Dale cocked his head curiously with solicitude. "What about Mariah?" Dale ordered. Aubree looks away anxiously, twirling her orange hair strand. 

"I can't tell you or she'll be upset."

He frowns furiously, "Just tell me, Aubree!" He shakes her with regard, she bit her lips nervously. "Mariah doesn't want to hurt either of us. She promised to not help her with the case. She wanted to do it alone and she told me not to tell you."

Dale seemed hurt by the fact Mariah was hiding something from him, turning away with distress and wistfully strolling. Aubree was troubled, sighing grievously before Dale started to speak again, "I follow her reasons however we can't let her do it solely, Aubree." What he said was right, she didn't say anything for some time but nodded slowly in agreement.

They ran off in a hurry to locate Mariah. It was around 3 o'clock when they finally caught their breath. As they looked over in the background, they saw Mariah talking to someone. Aubree squinted to get a better look and realized that Mariah was talking to one of Rowina's neighbors. They sneaked behind the wall to eavesdrop on their conversation, glancing over intently with impatience.