thirteen

The next day, Chaeyoung was in class when her phone dinged with a notification.  She panicked, quickly reaching for the device in her pocket and switching it to silent mode, internally scolding herself for forgetting to do so earlier.  A few of her nearby classmates turned to look at her, but luckily, the sound didn't draw the teacher's attention.

After a few seconds, curiosity got the better of Chaeyoung.  As discreetly as possible, she checked her phone under the desk.

[new group chat created by @minaripenguin]

[group name: the three musketeers]

[members: you, minaripenguin, nosananolife]

Chaeyoung smiled, saving Sana's number to her phone.  Suddenly, she heard her teacher walking over in her direction, and expertly hid her phone away to look like she'd been paying attention all along.  Chaeyoung was an expert at in-class texting.

Back to her phone.

[Minari, 09:34] Hi guys

[Sana, 09:34] HI CHAEYOUNG :D

[Minari, 09:35] ...

[Chaeyoung, 09:35] Hahaha xD

[Minari, 09:35] Aren't you supposed to be in class, Chaeng?

[Sana, 09:36] Oooh, couple fight!

[Minari, 09:36] Shut up

[Chaeyoung, 09:36] I'm multitasking

[Sana, 09:37] Yeah I'm at work too so there's no biggie

[Minari, 09:37] But you're lazy so I'm not surprised

[Sana, 09:37] :(

[Minari, 09:39] ANYWAY I created this group so that you can save Sana unnie's number, Chaeng, and also because I'm thinking of inviting her over for dinner tonight

[Minari, 09:40] Is that okay with you?

[Chaeyoung, 09:43] Yes of course ^^ I'm looking forward to it

[Chaeyoung, 09:43] Sorry I took so long to reply, teacher almost caught me

[Sana, 09:43] YAY!  Thanks :D See you guys tonight

[Minari, 09:44] Okay it's all settled then

[Minari, 09:45] Now stop texting in class Chaeng

[Sana, 09:45] It's a good skill to have though

[Minari, 09:45] I'm gonna kick you out of the group, unnie

Chaeyoung tried not to laugh as she put her phone away, for real this time.  She couldn't risk getting caught. She tried to focus back on her lesson, while at the same time anticipating the dinner with Mina and Sana.  She liked Sana's company and was thankful to have opportunities to form a friendship with her. Besides Mina, Sana was another adult figure in Chaeyoung's life whom Chaeyoung felt she could trust.  She was immensely grateful to have both Mina and now Sana in her life too.

A few hours later, Mina had driven to Chaeyoung's school and parked in the school parking lot, ready to pick Chaeyoung up for her doctor's appointment.  She was still a few minutes early, so she sat in her car waiting for the bell to ring.

Just then, an elderly man wearing thick glasses and carrying a couple of books walked out of the school building, probably on the way to his car.  But he spotted Mina sitting in her car, and stopped by.