twenty-one

Nayeon had snuck out of school multiple times before: to buy food, to go shopping, to relieve her boredom, or simply to escape all the drama and attention surrounding her as the school's queen bee.  But this was her first time doing it for the sake of such a meticulous, complicated plan.

"Mr Jung, may I have a bathroom pass please?"  Nayeon asked, raising her hand. Mr Jung, their Biology teacher, paused his lecture on viruses and turned to Nayeon.  So did more than half of the class. Nayeon attracted lots of attention no matter what she did, which made playing truant extremely difficult.  Hence she had to follow this step-by-step procedure every time.

"Of course, Nayeon.  Here you go," Mr Jung agreed without question.  He retrieved the blue card from his desk drawer, and Nayeon stood up, starting to walk to the front of the classroom.  As she did so, she made eye contact with Jeongyeon, who shot her a knowing and disapproving look. She knew Nayeon never left class to actually visit the washroom, and when she asked for a pass, it only meant one thing.  Nayeon bit back a smirk. She peeled her eyes away from her friend, got her bathroom pass, and exited the classroom as unsuspiciously as possible.

The hallways were deserted since it was in the middle of a period and everyone was in their respective classrooms.  So Nayeon could make a beeline out of the school doors, past a smaller, unguarded gate, and to the streets.

Towards Chaeyoung's house.

Nayeon almost gave up after she rang the doorbell and no one answered.  But after 10 seconds, she heard the sound of feet shuffling inside the house, and the door soon opened.  It was Mina.

Fatigue, alertness, shock, confusion, scrutiny, more shock, and concern flashed across Mina's face in the next few seconds, in varying intensities, upon seeing Nayeon standing at her doorstep.

"Hello, Mrs Son.  I'm sorry for showing up so suddenly like this," Nayeon said, bowing to Mina as a greeting and apology.

Mina blinked rapidly, trying to wrap her head around the fact that Nayeon was standing right in front of her.  "Nayeon-ssi... don't you girls have school right now? Is something the matter?"

Nayeon smiled a little.  "I snuck out. I wanted to talk to you, Mrs Son, if you don't mind."

Mina paused for a moment, then opened the door wider for Nayeon.  "Of course not. Please come in."

Nayeon was invited to sit in the living room while she waited for Mina to make her a cup of tea.  Jeongyeon was right; Mina was a very civil and polite person. Nayeon tried to get rid of her uneasiness by looking around.  Chaeyoung's house was just as she remembered it. Large, furnished with expensive, modern items, but slightly more organised and well-kept now.  Was it because of Mina?

Mina returned and placed a warm cup of tea in front of Nayeon.  "Here you go, Nayeon-ssi."

"Thank you."

Mina sat down on a separate couch, and after a little while, asked," Is it really okay for you to skip school?"

"I'll catch up with the class later.  Not to worry, Mrs Son. I never let my behaviour influence others," Nayeon hinted cheekily.